Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Road to Recovery

As I suspected, the Physical Therapist my surgeon wants me to see is not in my insurance network.

I spoke with their office several times yesterday and they were very helpful - even calling my insurance company to get information for me I couldn't get out of them myself.

Out-of-network coverage = $1000 deductible, then covered at 70%, limited to 26 visits.

Ugh.

So, my options are to bite the bullet and shell out money I can't really afford (although we do have a Health Flex Account, so that helps). OR... find a therapist in my network and take my chances with someone not used to working with athletes.

It's even more fun making these decisions when Wonderful Husband is on a business trip in Malaysia. We managed to navigate the 14 hour time difference and IM for a few minutes. He agrees I should go ahead with this PT.

We both kind of think that if I went with an in-network therapist not used to dealing with athletes that I probably wouldn't get the appropriate treatment and am likely to end up in the same boat a few months down the road. We trust this surgeon and understand there's a good reason he recommended so strongly that I work with the particular therapist.

So, we'll figure out how to pay for it and be grateful for the opportunity to be treated by someone who understands my needs. My first appointment is tonight.

2 comments:

LBTEPA said...

the main thing(s) is/are
- you and WH are in agreement about the $$$
- you are getting the right treatment for your future.
I try and think of my physio and podiatrist bills as investments which will keep me IN an active lifestyle and OUT of medical care in later life, but then I'm older than you LOL.
Take care and let us know how it goes with the PT

Unknown said...

Siren, I can't say enough good things about physios and orthopaedists who understand athletes and the demands that specific sports put on specific body parts.

Good luck at your first appointment!