Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Secret Formula

After a year of chronic pain that just kept getting worse, I think I've found the secret formula to resolve my plantar fasciitis.

THIS

plus

THESE

The velcro arch support wasn't supportive enough, and was too bulky to wear with shoes. The stretchy bandage version is fabulous. The pain relief from the moment I put it on is almost too good to be true. But it's just a pain mitigation measure - it doesn't seem to address the source of the problem.

So I finally caved to conventional plantar fasciitis treatment wisdom and dropped $110 on a pair of Birkenstocks. Birkestock Florida in a high arch, to be specific.

Oh. My. GAWD. My foot felt so much better just trying them on I wore them out of the store.

In just 3 weeks of owning them - and wearing them almost exclusively, just about every minute of the day - my PF pain has diminished dramatically.

So dramatically, in fact, that yesterday I was able to wear a cute pair of strappy sandals for a few hours at a business thing with no pain. The foot was somewhat sore later in the day, but nothing like it has been.

I did see my doctor, and he told me to stick with wearing only super arch-supportive shoes (i.e. my Birks and running shoes with inserts) for the forseeable future. He actually recommended I give up all my other shoes permanently, but, well, we know THAT'S not going to happen. But I am officially a Birkenstock convert and have decided to give up all my flip-flops. (Except for the ones I wear in the locker room. A girl's gotta have standards.)

So.... I guess.... yay for clunky sandals that make my legs look fat?!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great news!

Deck shoes/locker room shoes are a MUST.

(I wouldn't be giving up my pretty shoes either! Even if I only wear them for special occasions, and when standing/walking is not really required.)

Sixteen Chickens said...

Birkenstocks are the best things evah! Even the cheap knockoffs work well for me. It's all in the arch support. I sure wish they made a running shoe.

Cute strappy sandals are fine as long as you don't actually have to walk in them.

As long as we are talking fashion i have to tell you about my newest greatest find... Lane Bryant "right fit" jeans. OMG. They even come in a tall length. I am in serious fashionable heaven right now. So far I've ordered three pair and just can't stop. They also come in petites :) No more gap in the back of the waistband when I sit down. Love I tell you. L O V E

LBTEPA said...

GREAT NEWS!!!

Lisa said...

So I'm not personally a birkenstocks fan, but I love my Chacos which do essentially the same thing! Glad that something is working for you!

Renee said...

Oh that is so good to know. I am just starting to struggle with this pain and DO NOT want it to get worse. I am going to go get one today!

Fe-lady said...

Yeah for Birkies!
Are your shoe inserts custom? If not that may be the next step that will work for you.
Make sure your flip flops have some type of arch in them too...remember you are re-injuring everytime you go barefoot for even a short period of time.
Glad you are on the mend!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

chacos make a great flip flop with an arch support -- so does Keen. you don't have to give them up forever!

also - golf ball. Golf ball, golf ball, golf ball for PF (if you haven't already tried it, that is).

Anonymous said...

I was having the same problem with my foot and you might want to try a Stausburg sock. It has made a world of difference for me.

Leah