Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Two Birds

I went to the gym today with one goal, and came out having achieved two.

Ever since I started running - nearly two years ago - running for 30 minutes has been a goal of mine. It's an arbitrary number, to be sure, but back when it was all I could do to run 15 seconds out of every 5 minutes, it seemed like an epic destination that I may never reach.

I don't really know how to run, or how to train to run, so I've gone back and forth a lot between running for time and running for distance. In hindsight that was probably counterproductive, because I never really made any progress in either.

In the last couple of weeks I've enjoyed a lull in this year's absurd daisy-chain of illnesses and injuries with a simultaneous renewal of my committment to base training. And the results have been nothing but outstanding.

It took me 2 years to run that first mile. That was 10 months ago.

Since then I've desperately wanted to work that up to two, and three... honestly, at this point I can't even wrap my brain around anything farther than three. I had to let go of all my goals and grand plans this year and focus on healing and maintaining a basic fitness level in whatever manner my injuries would allow.

Now I can say I've reached that second mile - and beyond. 2.12, to be precise.

It happened when I was pursuing my original goal - the 30 minute run. Which I achieved in what is becoming typical fashion for me - starting at a 15:00 pace and gradually increasing speed as it feels good until my time is up (today's final pace: 13:20).

Maybe it's my born-and-raised midwestern winter blood, because even in the moderate fall weather I'm a cold-start engine like an old truck in January: great once I get going, but takes a long while to warm up. Even after a full 10 minute warm-up it's all I can do to scratch out the 15:00 pace when I start, but as each few minutes passes I feel stronger and faster and can pick things up.

I also find it interesting that these recent workouts - where I've been adding 5 running minutes to each - I've been getting a side stitch in the last 2 minutes or so with fascinating regularity. I think it's interesting that my body is so clearly telling me "ok, we processed the extra 5 minutes from the other day and it's all good, but you're only getting 5 more today."

It's hard for me to think that my formerly inconceivable 5K goal is now so clearly within my grasp. It's really hard for me to think that distances beyond that will follow close behind. I think it's time for me to open my mind regarding next year's race schedule - because now that I'm no longer limited by my run, the possibilities are endless.

6 comments:

Trisaratops said...

Awesome. I am so proud of you--and for you!

Lisa said...

Congratulations! You're doing great! :)

Habeela said...

Oh my word! I remember my first 30 minute run! There is NOTHING in the world so exhilarating as making that first benchmark! Woohoo! Can't wait to see what the next benchmark is! :)

jbmmommy said...

Nice job! That 30-minute mark is a big thing, it wasn't too long ago that I got there myself. It does seem to change things, knowing you can keep going for that long. You'll be blowing past that 5K goal before you know it!

Unknown said...

Good work! Keep at it. Isn't achieving goals awesome?!

strem said...

Congratulations on surpassing those goals. I am so proud of you (even though thinking of it exhausts me right now!) But, even though I don't have aspirations of being a tri-athlete, I also hope to surpass those same milestones. Go get 'em