Sunday, December 31, 2006

Year in Review

It's that time again, when I document my year-end stats in my training log to remind my mid-winter self that I have made progress and motivate myself for the year to come.

For the second year running I am very disappointed with the amount of weight I lost since this was supposed to be The Year of Concentrating on Weight Loss. But, no thanks to 12 weeks of bronchitis and various injuries, not to mention struggling with the latter half of a 10 month plateau, I am thankful I managed to lose any at all.

I'm also very happy I reached a couple of major milestones this year:
- 1/3 of the way to my goal weight
- 50 pounds lost
- ran my first 5K

I have a need for quantifiable goals and I love to obsess over numbers, learning what the subtle variations over time teach me about where I've come from, and where I'm going. But I must admit the most important milestones I reached this year were mental.

I learned to be patient and accepting of my physical limits so I can push them safely and successfully. I've learned to trust the training process and what it can do for me, which gave me the courage to choose bigger races in the coming year. Best of all, I learned to believe that I can actually achieve even the most outrageous goals I've ever dreamt of.

Original Start: 270
Started 2006: 232
Ended 2006: 220
Lost in 2005: 12
Total lost: 50

Here's hoping everyone achieves their goals in the year to come.

6 comments:

KLN said...

Congrats on a super 2006, and on the GYGO tri -- way to start 2007!

Trisaratops said...

To see what you have accomplished in one little calendar year is awe-inspiring.

You rock. Happy New Year!

jbmmommy said...

I know what you mean about numbers, but I think you've got to concentrate on the good ones. And 12 pounds lost is still good anyway! Think of how much faster you can run, how much longer you can exercise- those say a lot more than any scale ever will. And you're right, the mental milestones are often the most important. Here's to a successful 2007- I know you'll accomplish your goals and I look forward to reading about it.

Habeela said...

Oh my goodness! I am so far behind on blogs and you have SO many great announcements that I've missed! Congrats on all of the awesome accomplishments in 2006! And congrats on the bike ride! Happy New Year! And I highly suggest making your October half marathon Chicago. That will be my marathon - I'm still scared and excited to say taht in October I'll be able to run 26.2 miles. 2007 is going to rock! How's the LSD coming?

Bolder said...

those are significant milestones Siren!

may 2007 be your best!

strem said...

I'm hoping for another huge year of success for you. (Even though it seems you think you've done very little, I KNOW you've accomplished a lot!)