Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Christmas Came Early

Earlier this year I volunteered to help RTP work on a foreclosure she was rehabbing. I've been a homeowner long enough that I've picked up a few skills, and I really wanted to help, especially when the property's issues turned out to be of the 'worst-case-scenario' variety. After they got a few quotes and found out the cost of hiring painters was equivalent to the entire budget, I was put in charge of painting the interior.

It was a lot of hard work and the running joke was that she was getting me back for making her do a triathlon last summer. I never expected anything out of it because she's my best friend and I was happy to lend a hand. She said more than once she wanted to pay me something for my time but I always brushed it off because I knew their budget was too tight to be paying the volunteer labor. I'd move mountains for this woman, so I didn't getting sweaty and covered in paint was that far-fetched a thing to do for a friend. Especially the friend who stood by my side the entire year it took me to train for my first tri.

Imagine my surprise when, after the sale closed about a week ago, she presented me with a check. A check which is now burning a hole in my pocket in the shape of a bike trainer.

So here's the deal - I need advice on bike trainers!! I know less than nothing. I didn't think I could afford to get one this year so I haven't even looked at any.

I'm really excited about the idea of riding indoors but like I said, the only thing I know about them is that we use them when it snows. It's a lot of money, so I want to make sure I am well informed before I spend it.

What kind do you have? What kind are most quiet? Is that something to worry about - are the noisy ones all that noisy? Which models are easiest to use for a clueless newbie? Are there things I should know about size? (I've got 650s on a 47cm frame). What about maintenance? What features are critical and which ones can you live without? Do bike trainers even have features?

Please help!

2 comments:

:) said...

Oh...now you are talking my language: "bike-geek".

First, most any trainer will work with your tiny bike with tiny wheels (j/k). :)

Okay...There are three basic types of trainers: wind, magnetic and fluid. Each of these get more expensive as you go up respectively.

I personally don't like wind trainers as they are old technology and you really don't see many of them anymore anyway.

I have and use a magnetic trainer. They are relatively quiet, but not as quiet as a fluid trainer. Magnetic trainers are the sweet spot for pricing. You can get one for less than $100 and be set.

Fluid trainers are quiet and really nice, but I don't think they are worth the price jump from a magnetic (up to $300 and over somtimes!).

Of course, these are all my opinions, so take them for that only. If you are interested, I can dig up a few deals for you when you decide what you are looking for...

Anonymous said...

I have a cycle ops fluid 2 trainer. I really like it. I tested a magnetic trainer at my LBS and liked the way the fluid felt. Plus the magnetic was a little louder. I want to watch TV while I ride and dont want to disturb the entire house. As far as assembly goes I dont think they could have made it much easier. Very simple design.

This is the time of year to buy one. Everybike shop I go into has them on sale.

Good Luck
Rocks