Thursday, November 09, 2006

What I Learned Today

1) I can be too rigid, in that I will follow plans I've made when even I see they should be changed. Case in point: today I drove to the gym for my planned treadmill interval workout even though this glorious - and completely bizarre in a "proof of Greenhouse Effect" kind of way - November day is sunny and 65.

2) Sometimes the Powers That Be will reach down and break my favorite treadmill to save me from myself.

3) There is no shame in walking right back out of the gym without working out if you're leaving to go for a run outside, like nature intended.

4) Going for an impromptu outdoor run means I do not have certain things with me; specifically, my Fuel Belt. That means I can't carry my car keys, cell phone or drink bottle.

5) I've lost enough weight that I can fit my car key/opener in my sports bra.

6) It turns out I can go 3 miles without carrying a drink bottle when it's only 65. (I'm used training in July when I need a sip every quarter mile.)

7) There is something indescribably wonderful about running with leaves crunching under your feet.

8) You can still sweat and get sunburned in November.

9) Sweat will short out electronic door lock openers.

10) Always bring the key as a back-up to the electronic opener unless you want to walk home.

11) What turned out to be the same pace feels slower without Kona's company.

12) When I think I'm going slower I can run farther.

13) If I listen to my Polar I will never get to run because it says I'm ALWAYS out of my target zone. It's routine for me to be running easy and feel great and have my HR in the 180s. (My doctor told me to just run as long as it feels good and ignore the monitor for now.)

Results:
Walk (warm-up): .5 mile - 10:00 min
Run: 1.5 mile - 19:33 (Half mile splits: 7:17, 6:30, 5:56) (Outdoor distance PR)
Walk: .5 mile - 10:15
Run: .5 mile - 6:54

Total workout: 47:39
Total distance: 3 miles

8 comments:

Spandex King said...

A woman that has a flexible plan. Now there's a new one!! Lol Just kidding.

I hate the treadmill. I know what you mean about following the plan though. I think it comes with the type of personality that likes challenge. I'm a basket case if I'm not on the "Plan". Or maybe it just took me so long to get this far a set back would be devistating. Good Luck and most of all have fun.

:) said...

great job.

Lisa said...

Great job on the run! I heard from a fellow REI employee that there is a way to change the target zones for your HRM. You can set it to your own parameters. How, I do not know. But I think (from the secondhand information I have heard from coworkers/customers) that Polar's customer service is great, and you should be able to contact them to find out how to set it differently.

I love running outside. It's just much more of a feeling of accomplishment. :)

Ready for the snow? ;)

Sixteen Chickens said...

Hey Siren, are you doing Danskin in Naperville in 2007? Melissa is, and I want to, are you in? Here's M's blog in case you aren't sure who I mean. http://mommymeepa.blogspot.com/

Sixteen Chickens said...

Oh crap I meant the Danskin Women's Tri in Pleasant Prairie. Holding a cat while trying to surf the web is a challenge. =^..^=

gecko said...

hehe! time to shop for a new sports bra! Well done for the weight loss ;o)

LBTEPA said...

nothing wrong with having a plan... but glad you got outside to enjoy the nice weather and run fast!

strem said...

Sounds like you did very well... despite the change in plans.