Friday, November 24, 2006

Race Report: Turkey Day 5K

Event: 5K Run/Walk
Date: 11/23/2006
Location: Crystal Lake, IL

I went to the race with no particular plan, especially considering the tickle in my throat from the night before had developed into a little cough. It's unusual for me to not know exactly how I'm going to do a distance - how long the run intervals will be, when I'll take walk breaks. I knew I was probably coming down with something so shouldn't expect to run, but aside from my throat I felt perfectly fine. Besides, my goal had been to run it... so why plan for anything else?

I took some cough suppressant, checked the temperature, geared up accordingly and was out the door by 7:20. It was 31, sunny, no wind.

I feel pretty good about my upper body cold weather gear now that I've got gloves, a good base layer and technical fabric pullover. I wore a long-sleeve t-shirt over the two technical layers and I was fine. I still haven't found running pants, so I wore my cool weather cycling tights, which had worked out well on last Sunday's 23 degree run. They look enough like running tights, and I figured I'm a triathlete so am used to running with some cycling padding in my pants. They worked great as an interim solution.

Since I require a long time to warm up I made sure I arrived with time to walk around a stretch a lot. I was hoping Monday's visit to the therapist and a lot of stretching would keep me from needing to stop along the run to stretch out my cranky calves, and this time it worked like a charm.

I was thrilled to see a full parking lot, because there had been a tiny voice in my head saying "what if only Hard Core Runners run this and they all go home before you're finished?"

It was nice to see such a wide cross-section of people at this event: Runners, runners, Team Runners (junior high, high school and college kids bearing XC shirts from local schools), Junior Runners (kids as young as 7 sprinting around the course), Walkers and walkers. There were even families with kids and dogs. As I was greeted exuberantly by many a happy dog while warming up I wished more than once I'd known they were allowed. Definitely bringing Kona next time.

It was also great to not be the only one decked out in technical gear - more than half the racers were and except for the fact they they all left me in the dust I blended right in. A good number of gazelles were wearing shorts, and a couple were wearing nothing but. (I later heard one of these nearly naked men report their time as 16:32... and he wasn't the winner.)

I felt kinda cool as we got started and the beep of my lap watch one only one of many. That feeling quickly dissipated as the entire pack thundered by, leaving me ahead of only a few walkers. I resisted the adrenaline rush that comes with every race start and initiated a sustainable pace.

I forced myself to a frustrating, ridiculous slow pace because, aside from not feeling my best I knew I'd never run farther than 1.5 outside (and 2.5 indoors). I really wanted to see how far I could go.

At the half mile marker I was feeling noticeably warmer and took off my gloves.

As I passed the 1 mile marker I remembered to hit the lap button, then I took off the t-shirt layer, tied it around my waist and unzipped the pullover as far as it would go. It was maybe 35 degrees now, but I was suddenly understanding how the Nearly Naked Gazelles (who, btw, had already lapped me several minutes earlier) could do it.

At this point I did a little survey and liked what I found. Legs - fine. Lungs - fine. Heart - fine. I picked up the pace a tiny bit.

As I passed the 1.5 mile marker I briefly channeled Veeg, thinking, happily - this is the farthest I have ever run outside. AND I FEEL GOOD.

A few minutes later I passed a lone woman with a little boy, maybe 3 years old. They were sitting on a park bench watching. She was teaching him how to cheer for the runners and shake cowbells like it was a real race. I laughed and we exchanged 'Happy Thanksgivings' and then they were lost around the bend, but they kept me going for a little while.

Next I passed a woman walking with her daughter. We chatted briefly and I learned she's a long-time runner and was trying to get her clearly reluctant daughter to catch the bug. She congratulated me on my progress, then turned her attention back to the daughter who had stuffed her hands into her pockets and was stomping dejectedly along. I wished with all my heart I could convey to this overweight little girl how good it feels, and how it changes your life, to embrace exercise. But I knew there was nothing I could say because this is a lesson we have to learn on our own. I kept going.

I found myself looking hard for mile marker 2 and inordinately happy when I was finally able to mark it on my watch. Things were definitely not as easy as they had been. It wasn't quite as easy to breathe, my legs didn't feel quite as light. The crowd had thinned considerably and the first of the gazelles who were running a 10K just for kicks had passed on their way back through the course. And I was starting to get the first of many "good job, you're almost there's" from finishers who had come back through.

On the way to the 2.5 marker my legs piped up and asked 'would you like some lead with that Jello?' But thankfully the feeling passed quickly and they came back to normal. But as I passed the 2.5 marker my breathing was noticeably more labored and the voices started up.

This is the farthest you have ever run. EVER. That's great... you can STOP NOW.

My lungs seconded the motion. As did my heart.

But I kept telling them that it was only another half mile, maybe 7 minutes, and we can TOTALLY keep it together for 7 minutes, right?

The angry chorus reluctantly calmed and I returned the focus to my breathing. I noticed right away it was no longer the smooth in-two-three out-two-three hypnotic rhythm I have come to know when running without headphones. There was a ragged quality, with extra beats here and missing beats there.

Then I came around a curve, the 3 mile marker came into sight and Legs made a break for it. I felt myself speeding up and had the eerie feeling I couldn't do anything about it even though I couldn't breathe enough to keep it up.

I decided to let them go - my legs clearly wanted to run even though the rest of me wasn't on board. I hit the lap button as I passed the 3 mile marker and as I turned toward the finish line I broke into the closest thing I could must to a sprint. My face was hot, my heart racing, my breathing ragged, but I couldn't slow down without stopping, and I hadn't run this far to walk the last 25 yards.

I remembered to look at the clock when I crossed, remembered a second later to stop my watch.

I was such a wreck I couldn't speak to thank the volunteer who handed me a finisher's card (no chip timing or bib numbers at this informal event - you mark your own time on an index card and turn it in). I made myself walk until my heart returned to normal and my breathing was controlled.

Then I took stock and was amazed as how normal I felt. My legs weren't tired at all and it took me a minute to remember it's because they're used to going on a bike ride before a 5K. But the next day - same thing. Not a hint of tiredness or soreness from the race.

Clearly my body is ready for this now. I just need to get in some solid base training this winter to get my heart on board.

Splits
Mile 1: 15:04:13 (this includes the time it took to reach the starting line from the back of the pack, 10-20 seconds)
Mile 2: 14:25:44
Mile 3: 13:27:30
Last .1: 1:02:72
Total Time: 43:59:59

Goals Met
- run a 5K
- in under 45:00
- by the end of 2006

Next Steps
The Shamrock Shuffle in April is an 8K. I think I'm going to sign up, it's the perfect next step towards my 2007 half-marathon goal, and perfectly timed to keep me running through the winter.

[Post-script: That tickle in my throat turned into a nasty cough with some kind of raging chest infection. My throat's on fire and I've got no voice. Calling doctor tomorrow, expect to be out of commission for a week.]

5 comments:

Trisaratops said...

AWESOME job, and great report!

Hope you feel better soon!

Habeela said...

WOOHOO!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!! This is SOOOO inspiring!

:) said...

Wow. Great job, you! I am so proud of you for running the whole way AND sprinting at the end...

YOU ROCK!

Sixteen Chickens said...

Yay! I KNEW you could do it! I'm proud of you! BTW we run at about the same pace.

Veeg said...

Holy crap! Look at you negative-splitting your whole 5K! Great, great job, girlie!