Thursday, November 30, 2006

To Buy or Not To Buy

Since I'm still kinda sick I've got training-free time to surf the web for gadgets and gear, and I came across an ad for something I've been wanting for a while, so...

I'm looking for thoughts from seasoned athletes on whether or not it's practical to purchase my own timing chip.

When I first started I had no intention of ever buying my own ChampionChip, but the more races I do the more I kind of want one. I've been putting together my 2007 race schedule and once again am confronted with screens asking if I have my own or need to rent one.

They're only $35 bucks and it seems like such a cool thing to have. I was thinking about asking for one for Christmas.

What do you think? Do you guys have one? Do you think it's a good thing to have your own or a hassle to deal with? I noticed when I worked chip removal as a volunteer that not many athletes owned them, but then again I was at an entry level, mostly-first-timer race. I have no idea what the percentages are at events with seasoned racers.

It just seems so darn cool. But if your experience has been that it's impractical I can see not bothering to buy one.

1 comment:

Habeela said...

I keep waffling on this myself. I don't think all races give you the option to use your own chip but enough do that having your own that looks cool might be worth it.

I know that this year, I'm definitely buying my own chip for running since I'll be signing up for at least 9 runs in order to qualify for the NYC Marathon in 2008.