Friday, November 03, 2006

Just One More Thing

My youngest cat was diagnosed with diabetes today.

I just left Walgreens for the FOURTH TIME today because they are apparently incapable of locating a box of syringes and slapping a label on them. (I wish I was kidding.)

Part of the reason this pisses me off so badly (aside from 4 trips in 8 hours because of their incompetence) is that I have worked in a Walgreen's pharmacy and I know how it works and it should not require 4 trips and multiple doctor phone calls to obtain a bottle of insulin and a box of insulin syringes that are pre-labeled and pre-packaged.

The chick tonight tried to blame it on a "problem with the scrip." I read the prescriptions carefully and there was nothing wrong with them. The only thing I can fathom is that perhaps there was a problem with how the idiots ENTERED the scrip into the system. (These are the same people who have never once - in 3 years - gotten my thyroid prescription right. I don't even let them ring it up any more before I check the fill because I'm sick of getting it home and finding it wrong.) And before you suggest I change pharmacies - it's because they're in our insurance network. Our options are extremely limited (but believe me we're going to check the fine print because I am DONE.)

This changes EVERYTHING in our lives and how we plan things. He's an aggressive, difficult cat and not just anybody can do his injections. Twice a day. 12 hours apart. And he has to have eaten first. And the other 3 cats have different food (or we spend a mint on the special food for all of them, but they could lose too much weight on it.) Forever.

I can handle this. I was a vet tech. I wanted to be a vet. I have had a diabetic cat. I can handle this.

But I don't know if I can handle anything else at the moment (85 pound puppy and mother melting down about her divorce and if I have to smile childless through one more goddamn baby shower which, incidentally, is where I'll be the next two Sundays and really that's just the tip of the iceberg...). I am hereby imploring the Powers That Be to back the fuck off for a little while because pretty soon I'm gonna start blowing shit up.

4 comments:

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Sounds like a line from, "You know you're a cat lover when..." Good luck with your diabetic kitty. BTW, how does a cat get diabetes?

jbmmommy said...

I've had a diabetic cat and I hope that yours takes to the routine as easily as ours did. The needles barely phased him twice a day, but he was a more mellow cat to begin with. I sympathize with the change of lifestyle, we lived by the clock while he lived with us. (He was a foster cat and was adopted after almost a year with us)

As far everything else, sorry things are dumping on you right now. Good luck smiling through those baby showers, I hope things look up for you soon.

Lisa said...

All I can offer are *HUGS* Things will get better.

Sixteen Chickens said...

Sometimes blowing shit up is a great stress reliever, here's a match, light it up baby! :)