Tuesday, March 06, 2007

It's a New Day

When I started this journey in January of 2004 I didn't know where it would take me, only that I needed to get somewhere. I started from a place one can only call absurd: 270 pounds, daily migraines, nearly bedridden from crushing fatigue. But once I had a means to overcome it - newly diagnosed and life-changing prescription in hand - I was resolved to recover the real me through diet and exercise.

Frankly, it was a joke to call those first tentative steps on my broken old treadmill "exercise."

I stuck with it and it wasn't too long before I felt justified in claiming that I did, indeed, "exercise." And not long past that I felt comfortable saying "I work out." This internal dialogue - and external phrasing - changed about the time I decided to tackle a triathlon.

And psychologically, that's where I been ever since. That was almost 2 years ago.

Now, you may notice there's a word that's conspicuous in its absence: Training.

Of course, I toss it around in casual posting... but I always feel a twinge of guilt when I do. At least, for this audience. It's one thing to tell a civilian I train for triathlons... it's another to claim it among those who truly do the thing, and do it well.

Thus far, my version of training has meant indulging in ill-informed, self-planned, half-assed workouts that could be considered training only in the most abstract sense. Yes, I did the activities. And yes, I did them with increasing frequency and duration in order to be physically able to complete a race distance.

But to claim I have ever trained for an event would be the grossest of exaggerations.

And that was fine until now. Because honestly, my health and fitness level were coming from a place so hopeless that even the most moderate training plan was beyond my reach. I'd buy the books and magazines. I'd pore over the websites. And then I would close the book, throw out the magazine, close the browser. Because the Training - yes, capital T - proscribed by those resources was so far beyond my abilities I routinely questioned my sanity for even aspiring to race. Because if I can't even do the workouts... what on earth makes me think I can do the event?

I knew this was crazy. I accepted it. And I only chose races that accommodate those like me. I assumed this year would be more of the same - doing my best and quietly hoping nobody would notice I'm not doing any of the things we're supposed to do to truly prepare us for these events. Because I couldn't.

BUT.

This time, when I read my new issue of Triathlete, I didn't skip over the Olympic training plan like I usually do to avoid being confronted with my inadequacies.

So I read it. And you know what? This time around, it doesn't look so bad.

This time around, I can do the things they're telling us to do. And even better, I understand the WHY - a crucial factor for me in any endeavor. I Get It. Base training and speed intervals and tempo training and key workouts and the whole gloriously fucked up complex mess - I GET IT!!

And even better: I. Can. Do. This.

My whole world is suddenly alive with possibility. I had the tools all along, but until now they'd been useless in my hands. Somehow, somewhere along this journey I acquired the skill to use them.

2007 isn't just a new season. It's a whole new world.

Let's race.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! We all have had these moments. And you'll have them more than once. We can all afford to step up our training from time to time. Happy training.

Diane said...

Your accomplishments are truly amazing and inspiring. I'm off to order Triathlete magazine to see if some of your mojo will rub off on me.

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

"I. Can. Do. This."

Oh, yes, sweetheart...You Can.

You are going to take to Training like a fish to water. I can see it already. This will be an amazing year for you!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!