Sunday, March 18, 2007

Look Daddy! That Dog's Wearing Shoes!

Big thanks to TriTeacher for the links to heavy-duty doggy boots. I'm SO getting some.

But since I haven't ordered them yet - really just a matter of laziness and not getting my wallet close enough to the computer - I picked up some cheapies while I was getting cat food today, just to do a proof of concept. Because after a far-too-brief hiatus, Kona da Crack Monster is back in da house, this time wit a baaaaad case a da spring feva, and we just couldn't take it any more. He needed to run today, regardless of how tender his widdle paws are.

He was remarkably good about letting me put the silly things on, although once, just to prove a point I'm sure, he reached down with incredible accuracy, gingerly pulled the velcro band off one, and handed it to me.

After we got them on I laid on the floor for a while, pinned down by my own hysterical laughter while he high-stepped circles around me.

Just to be safe we only did a quick spin around the neighborhood, me watching him obsessively to make sure he wasn't losing boots or twisting ankles. He had a great time, and the rubbery slap-slap-slap-slap of his booties on the pavement caught a lot of people's attention.

It's kind of nice to be the strange neighbors, the ones who bike with a bootie-wearing, tongue-lolling out, happy-as-a-clam ginormous dog, that make people laugh, smile and wave.

4 comments:

Triteacher said...

That is hilarious that Kona was able to remove his shoe! Piper, while cuddly and a good runner, will not be winning any smarts awards.

gecko said...

Ahh! this so needs a photo.... hehehe!

LBTEPA said...

That's so funny - I was reading it while I was laughing at somthing else and now I can't stop

Unknown said...

Sounds like you two had a blast. Can't wait to see what kind of miles he can pound out once he gets the heavy duty booties!