Friday, December 21, 2007

The Fog is Clearing

I went on that walk, just like I promised myself. It felt good to lace up my running shoes for something besides a trip to the mailbox, and my cozy technical gear felt like old friends.

The fog rolled in so thick I had water droplets on my eyelashes and Kona's furry ears looked like they'd been dipped in sugar. We walked the first mile at a comfortable clip and when turned around to come home I couldn't resist... I had to run.

Just a little. Just to see how it felt.

So I did, but in deference to the obvious I took it easy. If I went faster than a 14:30 pace I'd be shocked. First I was just trying to see if I could go to the next driveway... then the next... and the next. Before I knew it I'd run half a mile and still felt perfectly fine. But, I decided I should probably stop and walk the rest because the doctor technically hasn't cleared me to run yet.

But talk about crazy - me choosing to stop running instead of my body forcing me to.

Clearly I'm still not used to this whole 'me as Runner' thing (after today I think I officially deserve the capital "R")... but after 11 months off and a little thing like having a baby my body is obviously sending a message: I can do this. I want to do this. This feels good.

I guess it's about time I started listening.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It must feel great! Glad to hear the little guy is putting on weight, too! (I'm a bit behind in my reading ...)

brendaj said...

Good job getting out there!

LBTEPA said...

Hey great news on the feeding, what a huge relief for you! And the run too, well done darl.
Merry Christmas to you, WH and LG

Unknown said...

Michelle, that is awsome that you tried running.. That is great way to go!! just think it will come along and you will be running the whole mile shortly. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! It will be special, because it will be little geeks first one!