Saturday, March 29, 2008

A Day in Da Life of a Runna

Now that I'm an Official Runner I'm finding it's not all PRs and glory! Whoda thunk it?

- Been having suspicious pain on the bottom of my left heel after I run. Makes me limp for a day or more after a workout. Accepted it was probably time for new shoes. (Been avoiding the purchase because in my twisted logic I never really ran in the new ones I bought last year, overlooking the teeny little detail that I did work out in them through a pregnancy.)

- So I go to order new ones... and my beloved 'I finally found a shoe that really works for me' Mizuno Wave Rider 10s have been... (wait for it)... discontinued.

- Actually, that whole discontinued shoe thing makes me REALLY feel like a Real Runner, major hassle notwithstanding (I have to drive 60 miles to the Fleet Feet to get a decent fitting for my goofy size feet).

But on the bright side...

I snuck in a quick naptime treadmill run the other day and got some very encouraging results. I managed to run at a 13:40 pace for 20 minutes, and maintained a HR of 155 the whole time.

That. Is. HAAAAA-YUUUUGGGE!!!

A year ago this week... wait, scratch that, a year ago this week I was peeing on a stick and going "Ho. Ly. SHIT!" Kay. A year and a week ago at that pace my HR would start somewhere in the 160s, shoot out of control no matter how much I slowed down, hang out for a while in the 190s and finally creep over 200 until I decided to stop before I died.

My official Holy Crap I Really Signed Up For a Half-Marathon Training Plan kicks in next week, and even with nearly double the time recommended I wasn't sure I could make it. But this latest workout has got me all kinds of optimistic!

Cause ya know what? A 3 hour half marathon is still a half-marathon!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a bummer about the discontinued shoes!

Nice dreadmill work!

LBTEPA said...

Yes, and you know what they call the last person across the line in a half marathon? A RUNNER

LBTEPA said...

Not that you would be last, sheesh that came out all wrong....
*stammers*
Excellent work on the treadmill (always harder than the road I think) :)

Pharmie said...

Nike did that to my favorite shoes last year. I had been wearing the same kind for something like 6 years. It takes a while to find a good replacement. Hopefully your "local" running store will be helpful. One of mine was, and one of mine wasn't. Just make sure you ask for a non high school/college employee.

brendaj said...

Did you look online to see if you could find the shoes? And I understand about the high HR. Mine is usually in the 190s for a running race.

Duane said...

Go for it!

jbmmommy said...

I feel for you on the shoes. Good luck, you're already a runner! Keep up the good work.