Thursday, May 08, 2008

Molasses in January Ain't Got Nothin on Me

I have a question.

I'm not built for speed. This is not a secret, or a surprise.

So, I've optimistically decided that must mean I'm built for endurance (side-stepping the obvious conclusion I'm really not cut out for this at all).

Here's the thing. Since I started getting back into running this spring, I've noticed something odd/weird/new/interesting.

Running has never been "easy" for me, but before I got pregnant it has become, let's call it "tolerable." I knew starting over would entail some major suckage and it pretty much has. My HR is too high, I fatigue too easily, I breathe too hard, my form falls apart too quickly... and that's all at a blazing 13:30 pace.

But the last few LSD workouts I noticed something interesting happening pretty consistently around the 30 minute mark.

My HR eases up a little, my breathing becomes less labored, I lose that explody-head feeling and I go from 'ohdeargawdpleaseletitend' to 'huh, maybe I can go a little longer.'

The problem is that, aside from all these nagging injuries (which are keeping my workouts on the short side), it's still pretty early in my training plan and by the time I hit the 30 minute mark I'm so close to done I don't get a chance to see if I really can keep going.

Is this normal? Is my engine just so darn slow to warm up it's not happening until 30+ minutes after I start running? Or does it just take that long to numb to the suckage?

5 comments:

jbmmommy said...

Wish I had an answer for you, I just wanted to say good job for sticking through the suckage for 30 minutes.

You'll get there, but I wouldn't risk injury by trying to go more than scheduled. I think. Maybe I would, the scientist in me likes experiments. Good luck and keep at it- you are most definitely cut out for it.

LBTEPA said...

I am finding exactly the same thing as I build up to my 'longer' runs for my HM - if I can tough it out (ie whinge bitch complain but not go home) for about 20-30 min it all becomes less horrid!
But don't rush it mate - what jbmommy said

Sixteen Chickens said...

I don't know. Big help, aren't I?

Jennifer P said...

It's normal. Embrace it!

Erin said...

It just takes that long to numb the suckage (great phrase). At least for me. I curse myself the first two miles or so of nearly every run. After that, provided my legs don't rub together and chafe or nothing else falls apart to make things hurt, I can go for-ev-ah.

You're doing great! Just keep at it!