Thursday, December 11, 2008

Gear for Goals

If I'm going to reach my goal of doing an Olympic distance race this decade (not to mention the pact I made with mommymeepa to shoot for a HIM in 2011) I need to get my hands on a wetsuit, because around here the longer races are in Lake Michigan.

And as much insulation as I'm still packin, even I can still get hypothermia in Lake Michigan. In August.

I know there are a zillion wetsuit options out there and they all fit differently and I should try on a zillion and one to find the right one. But I've also noticed when my fellow curvy girls out there have been successful in their searches and wound up singing the praises of a wetsuit's fit. I just wish I'd actually written down the brands when I was noticing said singing.

So to all the voluptuous vixen athena goddesses out there... I'm begging you. Please tell me where to start my search?

2 comments:

Steve Stenzel said...

Sorry, I'm not a voluptuous woman. Anymore. ;)

Pharmie is a little curvy, and she has an Ironman Instinct suit. She likes it!

Good luck with the hunt!

Jenny Davidson said...

I was worried about this too, and when I actually went to the (very nice) triathlon store, I was pretty adamant that I only wanted to try things that were actually likely to fit! I think it is like drug-store tights, you add X number of pounds to whatever they say to make it more plausible. Call round to the stores where you might to try them on and see what's in stock - I was surprised, I don't know if it was a seasonal thing, but even this pretty triathlon-centered store I was at literally only had 2 different ones for me to try on, so it may be that this is a simpler or more straightforward shopping task than you think. You definitely have to try on b/f you buy! But some stores have a $75/rental thing - if the full price is $200, it may seem more sensible just to buy (certainly if it is for 2-3 races), but if you are just doing one race & think you might be a smaller size the next summer, rental is probably the way to go...