Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sylvia Milhone Bailey, 1902-2008

My great-grams, Sylvia (Milhone) Bailey, passed away last night at 106.

She always said she wasn't going until the Cubs won the World Series again. I guess she couldn't wait any more.

I had plans to go downstate last week in part to take Baby Bear to meet her, but the Bear and I both came down sick (we still are) and postponed our trip to next week.

Now there's an enormous snowstorm bearing down on us, with up to 11 inches of snow expected by tomorrow. Down home, they're expecting an inch of ice today with snow the next 4 days. And Wonderful Husband has no vacation time because of his surgery, and my relatives don't count for bereavement leave and ohbytheway, he's covering for 3 people on vacation. And we wouldn't be able to board the dogs on such short notice on a holiday weekend. And my fat pants are tight.

And did I mention the enormous guilt over not making it over to the hospital to see her when we were down for Grandma's funeral 5 weeks ago? While my cousins went to see her I had to take the Bear bad to my mom's for a desperately needed nap. And since WH was being forced to use vacation time we had to head right back home, so we didn't make any extra family visits.

Mom told me last week that when they were making arrangements for my Grandma they realized that the headstone for my great-grandpa and Grams will have to be redone. Back when he passed away (~1965) they thought they'd be proactive. So they started Grams' half of the stone. With a "19.." I find this endlessly amusing.

Here's hoping Grams can get WGN in heaven so she can see the Cubs come through for us some day.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

WOW 106! That is amazing - the headstone bit is very amusing! Way to go Grams....

I'm so sorry for your loss, and all the guilt, weather, and leave issues that are happening with it. It's never a nice time for anybody and these things just make it harder. Take care of yourself!

jbmmommy said...

I'm very sorry for your loss, please don't burden yourself with guilt. Your grandma knows just how much you loved her and she's probably checking in on Baby Bear just now, and always.

Jenny Davidson said...

Yes, condolences...

Sixteen Chickens said...

Oh no. I'm so sorry. Oh dear. I wish I could make it better. Maybe a laugh? I popped a button off my fat pants the other day. Sproing! I no longer have "muffin tops" I have "loaves." Oh, and my word verification to post this is "fatine." Perfect.

LBTEPA said...

Oh I am so sorry Michelle ((HUGS))

Melissa said...

Sixteen Chickens, you made me laugh.

Michelle, I am so sorry. These things are never easy, but are even harder around the holidays. Like someone else said try not to feel guilty about not visiting her. She knew how much you loved her.

I, too, find the headstone thing amusing. When my mom passed away my dad ordered a double headstone and I got to help pick it all out and he wanted them to put his birthday on there and I said no, cause when I go to visit my mom's grave I don't need the reminder that he is going too. It would be like a TO BE CONTINUED sign. I won!!

Duane said...

Sorry to hear about your loss

Steve Stenzel said...

So sorry! That's so sad!

Happy Holidays!!

Unknown said...

I am soo sorry for your loss! You are in my thoughts and prayers!


Sixteen Chickens! Ok i was laughing when i read what you said!

Lisa said...

So sorry to hear about your losses. Things are so rough this time of year, let alone adding the headache of trying to take bereavement time.

Hope you and your WH had a great Christmas with Baby Bear!

jbmmommy said...

Hope you had a happy birthday! May this be the best year yet.