Friday, February 20, 2009

Vacation Report - Day 1 Photos

The Bahamas trip was far from what we had eagerly anticipated, but we made the best of it and still had the best time possible.

It started with a 2 am wake-up. About 15 hours later, we arrived at my friend's house on Eleuthera.

Coming in to land at Nassau, this was my first peek at advertisement-worthy Caribbean waters. I tried to ignore the heavy cloud cover and the pilot announcing that the temp was in the low 60s.


We'd had to run at top speed through the Philadelphia airport to baaarely catch the connecting flight, which meant we didn't have time to eat until we got to Nassau, at which point we'd been traveling for 12 hours. Thank goodness I'm a compulsive over-packer and had a carry-on full of healthy snacks, because the options for the 3 hour layover at Nassau were starving to death or something called Pig's Feet Souse (which I later learned is like head cheese, but with feet).

Wonderful Husband says it wasn't that bad, but at this layover I felt like I was trapped in a Neil Gaiman novel. I was half-convinced the walls would start fading away and revealing portals to the Hell dimension where they invented Pig's Feet Souse.

During the Nassau layover I stared at this plant for a couple of hours. We became pretty good friends. I plan to send it holiday cards.


Getting off this plane was a Hallelujah kind of thing. I generally don't mind flying, but this particular flight made me rethink that position.


The charmingly rural Rock Sound International Airport, where Baggage Claim means rummaging through the luggage tram around the back of the building and taxi service means the neighbor picks you up in their car. Also - we learned the hard way - they run their flights pretty much whenever they feel like it, regardless of what time the ticket says.


Home Sweet Home on Eleuthera.

The main living area. Wonderful Husband thought it was amusing how the camera flash lit up the transition bag.


The short walk to the beach. As illustrated below you can, technically, see the ocean from our house.


Tarpum Bay Beach across the street. I managed to sneak in a quick walk before the sun went down our first night. I would have gone wading, but the neighbor warned us not to because the sharks come in really close to shore at sunset to feed. It's a rocky beach full of fascinating shells and bits of coral. If the water hadn't been Great Lakes cold and choppy I'd have gone in, but as it was we didn't go in at this beach deeper than our ankles.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the last picture. I don't think I could have gotten on that plane. Scary. Can't wait to hear more.

Tomorrow at Weight Watchers I should hit 30 pounds lost. Wahhoooo!!

IronWaddler said...

Love the photos. It is so beautiful there.

Shelley said...

OMG..please post more pics, I am so happy you are enjoying yourself!

Brent Buckner said...

Glad you made the most of your getaway! Very scenic.