Tuesday, June 09, 2009

How Dumb Would This Be?

We were just notified by the race officials that the water temp this weekend is predicted to be in the 60s and wetsuits are recommended. On account of they don't want us dying from hypothermia and stuff.

Here's the thing... this is a beginner-friendly sprint race in a glorified swimming pool (tiny quarry "lake"). The water is traditionally close to 80. Few of the 2400+ participants have wetsuits and I'm betting none of the 1000+ first timers have them.

And y'all know I sure as hell don't have one.

So how stupid would it be to order one today to wear this weekend?

I realized I'd be breaking several rules...
- buying a suit without trying it on
- wearing a suit first time in a race
- spending money I (technically can but) shouldn't

But that hypothermia is such a bitch!

Here's what the voices in my head are saying about the rule breaking:
- If it doesn't fit I can always return it (or worst case, resell on ebay or craigslist)
- I have read the forums and begged for advice from other curvy girls to learn there are a bare handful of options I can even think about ordering, so it's not like I'm shooting in the dark.
- Most places I've talked to don't have the size I'd need to try on anyway, so I'd probably be stuck ordering online regardless.
- This race doesn't matter. With my foot problems, I shouldn't even be doing it. It's like an extra long workout with a few thousand of my closest girlfriends. So who cares if wearing a wetsuit for the first time messes with my swim a bit?
- I just landed a project last night that will cover the cost.

So, seriously. How dumb would I be?

(In other news... snuck in a swim first thing this morning and averaged 3:11/100 yd pace. I know it's slow overall, but that's a 14 second/100 yd improvement over my last workout!)

7 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

RENT!

Renee said...

I looked at renting but it seemed like it was still going to be expensive. I used a wetsuit in my last race for the first time and it was pretty miserable. I felt like I was being choked by it the whole time and I am sure it was mostly because I was not used to it. I personally think that looking back, I would have been better off without it and dealt with being cold.

Sixteen Chickens said...

That's a hard call. I can see that you really want to buy a suit. Would you have time to take it on a trial swim before the race?

LBTEPA said...

Hmmm
Could you borrow one?
will you starve if you buy it?
Will you feel all happy and triathlete-ish and as though you're making progress toward your goals if you buy it?
If it's the wrong size will you be devastated?
So many questions, no answers, sorry! Enjoy your race :)

Lisa said...

Yikes... that's tough! I think some good questions were raised in the other posts!

(Would this race happen to be in Pleasant Prairie? :) That sounds like a nice change from the race a few years ago where the temperatures were in the 90s by 8 AM!)

Good luck with the decisions and even better luck with the race!!

Unknown said...

Good luck this weekend! I really miss that race.. I will be better and will try for it in 2010!

Sharon get ready!

Melissa said...

I will not be doing the wetsuit option. I know I will be cold, but just not ready. I know it will be hard to find one in my size. UGH!!

They say that you can rent and buy there, but buying the day before a race. No Way!! Also, I don't want to race without practicing. I don't want to buy cause I'm still dropping weight like crazy. I'm just going to deal with the cold and throw on a shirt and pants for the bike and run.

Hope I don't die of hypothermia. UGH11