Wednesday, March 03, 2010

27 Months

My little Bear is 27 months old. And he finally, FINALLY, started calling me Mama.

It's not that he didn't pronounce the syllables before, but they were always nonsense sounds, buried in a string of other nonsense sounds. Usually when he was angry, or hurt or tired.

That it took so for this simple thing that so many take for granted drives home for me that I really do have a special needs child. But I cling to the fact that his needs are manageable, and if I do my job his challenges can be mitigated.

Finally hearing my baby call me Mama makes everything else - the special concessions for his neurological triggers, the 4 times a week therapy appointments, the fears about the problems he could encounter at school, the daily struggle to fill the bottomless pit of his therapeutic needs - EVERYTHING. Just a little bit easier.

Now, when I come home, the first thing I hear when I open the door is his precious little voice yelling "MAMA!!! YAAAAY!!"

That's worth everything.

9 comments:

Jaime said...

Great post, great picture!

kodiacbear said...

baby steps--yipee!

Unknown said...

Priceless! Love the pic. :)

Spandex King said...

WoW! Time flies!

Lisa said...

Love the photo! You guys look fantastic! And yay for Mama! :)

Sixteen Chickens said...

Yay Mama! Yay!

LBTEPA said...

YAY!!

Melissa said...

AWESOME!!!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! Love the picture. You both look great!!

Diane said...

I'm checking in after a long time of no blogging and can't believe the Bear is 27 mos!!!! He is a cutie and I love the picture!