Monday, September 24, 2007

I Know, I'm a Baaad Blogger

I finally got the IMWI pics downloaded and sized for the web. Should get posted tomorrow. I know. I'm terrible. But I'm just so BEHIND on everything.

Before I get to the final IMWI post, I just wanted to take a moment to wax hormonal about how important family is and how wonderful it is to have the opportunity to forge relationships with distant relatives.

Since the trip to Minnesota earlier this month I've been corresponding with a wonderful older woman (and her 92 year old mother!) who belongs to a branch of my husband's paternal side of the family we had been previously unaware of. (This was particularly upsetting because it turns out they used to have annual family reunions and never knew to invite us!)

Anyway, she was quite happy to learn that I'm interested in the family history and has been providing me with priceless names and dates so I can dutifully record them in the family tree software. (My MIL is also sending her old family photographs so she can help us identify the people, which is a huge help.) I just got a letter from her saying she found an 11 page family history document dating back to 1824!

So, yay for family. I love that I'll be able to show my baby how deep the roots of his family tree go, and that I was lucky enough to meet this wonderful lady who obviously cares as much as I do about the family history.

2 comments:

Trisaratops said...

That's awesome!

I love this stuff. It's hard when you hit a dead end, though...it can be so discouraging! Sounds like you've hit a gold mine and met some wonderful people, too!

My aunt just came across my great-grandfather's naturalization papers a month ago...so cool!

Sixteen Chickens said...

Just don't tell me if you end up being related to George Dubbaya, please. ;)