Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Stuff I Wish I'd Known Before IMWI

Some of you might remember the novella I wrote about my volunteer experience at IMWI last year. While I enjoyed every single second I worked for the race and for the athletes, I expended a huge amount of energy in sheer frustration at the lack of certain aspects of volunteer organization.

While I'll never be able to fix some things - like the way a volunteer captain's brain works - there were a few things I learned I could have done myself that would have solved some problems that cropped up as the day progressed. As I was putting this list together for my own race weekend preparations, I thought some of y'all who will also be part of the Madison contingent might find it helpful...


Stuff To Do Differently This Year
Paper/Sharpies/Tape
- There was a distinct lack of signage in certain areas that desperately needed it (for instance, something to distinguish between the Men's and Women's changing rooms!) and NOBODY had even basic supplies on hand to rectify the situation. This year I'm sticking these things in my backpack.
- The race was supposed to provide "Race Support" signs for vehicles working the course. These were either not provided at all (hence needing to make own) or provided with no means to attach them to vehicle (hence needing tape).

Cell Phone/Phone List
- Station captains had no way to communicate with workers. I insisted on my group providing their cell phone numbers to the captain and vice versa. This saved our butts in a big way.
- Not having any idea where any of the other tri bloggers were/when volunteer shifts were finishing/when people were getting together for meals/when racers were passing critical checkpoints or finishing was very frustrating. This shouldn't be a problem this year for the Tri Bloggers in attendance as plans are well under way to make this aspect organized and enjoyable.
- I have Verizon Wireless and noticed last year I didn't get reception inside Monona Terrace (I did get it just outside the doors). Other people seemed to have no trouble inside. Just food for thought.

Working Stations
- Unless it's obvious they've got a handle on everything, do not count on your volunteer captain to have organized things completely. If anything about your job involves coordination with other volunteers, make sure you A) identify the exact people and introduce yourself and B) make detailed plans between yourselves on how you will manage whatever it is you're supposed to do/hand off.
- Many volunteer workstations are woefully understaffed (for example, the gear bag return from 9-midnight has all of ONE person signed up, and it needs at least a dozen or more) and will gladly accept even last minute volunteers. If you have time, see a need/get recruited by a captain and are ready to lend a hand, you can walk up to the volunteer tent and they'll give you a crew shirt.
- Even though part of signing up for a volunteer station includes providing your t-shirt size, for some ridiculous reason last year that information evaporated and it was a free-for-all in terms of sizing (and anyone who needed XXL or bigger was completely SOL). If this happens with your station try the volunteer booth, you might be able to trade for the right size.

General Assistance
The racers are not allowed to accept help from people, but things I've seen and heard have made it sound like they can accept the loan of something like a bike pump to help themselves. The rule the volunteers were given was "you can't give any assistance to any ONE racer that you wouldn't give to EVERY racer" (i.e. no special help for your friends). Little things it's easy for us to have in our cars (if we're, for example, sitting on the side of the bike course with a camera) that could make a big difference in someone's race day.
It also doesn't hurt to keep a few plastic bags on hand (and a sharpie to label the contents with) in case an athlete you know "accidentally" drops something like a jacket that's gotten too warm and you "just happen" to pick it up for them. Not that we'd do that. Cause it might be considered special assistance. I'm just sayin I'm gonna have some plastic bags in my backpack.

Mosquitos As Big As Your Head
Bring bug spray. Seriously. It was quite the issue last year.

Portability
This isn't so bad if you're a spectator and have a car handy, but if you're walking around or working a station it's good to know. Plan on having all your stuff for the day (or specific portion of the day) in a comfortable backpack. Don't count on having the time/inclination to drag yourself back to your vehicle for things like jackets or extra beverages.
It's a good idea to keep any papers you need through the day (maps, etc) in a baggie or a separate pocket. Even if it doesn't rain, rubbing against your cool, refreshing water bottles for 17 hours can erase a good portion of their content.

Spectating/Getting Around
-Print out maps of everything and carry them in your backpack. Even if you know your way around, someone in invariably asks for directions and it's easiest to point to a paper. This totally saved me last year, when I discovered even the information booth ladies couldn't direct me where I needed to go.
-Use something like Google Maps to plan out specific places to watch from and to figure out a route to get there on race day (i.e. when roads are closed). If possible, inform racers ahead of time where these cheering stations will be (I think the Sherpas might be working on something like this.)
-If I had them, I'd bring binoculars for spotting racers far enough down the road that we have time to get ready to cheer for them properly. My experience so far has been squinting at someone until they're right on top of me going "is that them?!" and then barely having time to yell their name as they fly by, not necessarily aware of my existence.

General
If you're a triathlete (or live with one) you are already miles ahead of the average volunteer at this race in terms of having a clue what's going on and where things are logically located. Many volunteers are sweet, wonderful folks who just happen to live in Madison and are happy to lend a hand as long as their job doesn't involve actually knowing stuff. If someone asks you a question (and they invariably will!), feel confident about giving them an answer because you're almost certainly right.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very useful post Siren!

Tony said...

Those are all good points. I really like the one about being willing to help everyone out to the same degree instead of focusing on only a special few. Thanks for your help.

Keep up the great work.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Are you running for President in 2008?? If so, you have my vote based on organization ALONE! What's your Iraq exit strategy???

Steve Stenzel said...

"Mosquitos As Big As Your Head?!?" That'll be motivation to keep me moving out there on the run!!

TriGirl 40 said...

Wonderful suggestions! Those IMWI racers and volunteers are so lucky to have this feedback. You didn't happen to volunteer for IMFL last year, did you????

Diane said...

Hope you have a blast at IMMoo!!!