Friday, January 04, 2008

First Leg

One of my biggest concerns about being a mom is passing bad habits down to my children. In particular, I am acutely aware that my mother and grandmother passed their irrational fear of water to me and it's still such a struggle for me to swim in open water that I'm terrified I'll inadvertently teach my Little Geek the same fear.

Because of this, I approached his first real bath with reluctance. He already hated being naked and screamed like a banshee whenever we changed his clothes or diaper... how much worse was it going to be when we introduced something as new and potentially frightening as water?

I am incredibly happy and relieved to report find that he absolutely loved it! I know it's a big leap to go from 'he's ok with a bath' to 'he won't be afraid of swimming' but it's a start. I can't wait to get him into his first swim lessons!

8 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

I always want to write a fun comment on WHAT you're saying in your posts, but I keep getting distracted by how damn cute he is!

Baths are good. And who doesn't have a picture of them as a baby in the family sink?!

Unknown said...

Soooooo cute! (I'll bet he's going to be a water baby.)

LBTEPA said...

all together now-
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
LG will grow up watching Mummy conquering her fears and having a great time doing tris, he will want to be out there!

jbmmommy said...

Adorable little guy you've got there. Some days he'll probably hate the bath, too, but I'm glad that one went well. Hope all is well with all of you. And again, he's so cute!

Sixteen Chickens said...

Awwwwwwwwww. I'm glad he didn't cry, he'll be paddling in no time!

Melissa said...

looks like he is trying to freestyle. He's sooooooooo
cute!!

Unknown said...

Oh.My.Gosh. He's so freaking cute!!!

The Big Cheese said...

That's one good looking kiddo.