Thursday, January 24, 2008

New Perspective on Goal Setting

Not surprisingly, I've had to scale back my normal first of the year goal setting extravaganza to make room for the Little Geek in my schedule. And by "make room in my schedule" I mean give up any semblance of my former routine and hope someday when he's, ya know, old enough to drive my ass to the gym I'll have time to get in 5 workouts a week again.

So, instead of laying out the next 8 months or so in an excruciatingly detailed training plan as is my wont, I started small.

Two weeks ago, I set a goal of not eating fudge for breakfast any more. And I'm happy to say I met that goal.... once all the fudge was gone. And I'm not admitting anything about the Tollhouse cookies.

So, this week, after noticing I've gained about 2 pounds during my post-partum food orgy (and that even though I still weigh a few pounds less than my pre-pregnancy weight I'm in a size larger jeans) I decided it was time to actually do something about it.

So, I set two goals for this week:
- report in with The Calorie Nazi at least two days (and that's not to say I'm keeping my calorie tally under the recommendations, just that I'm keeping a tally)
- exercise at least twice (and yoga can only count for one)

Now that I've emerged freshly showered from my first real cardio session since last summer I'm proud to report that, unless I get snowed in and can't do yoga tomorrow, I will have actually achieved this week's goals.

I'm already getting calls to quote on some website projects to start in a few weeks (because apparently people do not understand what "maternity leave" means and started pestering me when the baby was barely 4 weeks old). So, I'm happy that I'm starting to make real progress towards getting back into training so I can have that part figured out before I have to start figuring out how to fit actual work into the picture.

And I've gotta say... OMFG I feel fantastic. It was only 30 minutes on the elliptical, but after months and months of short walks, easy swims and modified yoga I really have missed burning muscles and dripping sweat. I heart endorphins.

6 comments:

brendaj said...

Sounds like you're having a great week!! My mother in law baked us dozens of cookies which I've been eating for breakfast...until they're gone.

LBTEPA said...

There's nothing 'only' about 30 minutes on the elliptical! (I'm very unco and people at the gym stare at me cos the elliptical makes all weird clunking sounds).
The art of 'failure-proof' goals is a good one to learn now you have the Little Geek. Well done on 100% success!

Sixteen Chickens said...

Not eating fudge for breakfast?!? Well, I hope you're not going to go completely nuts and say no fudge for lunch or dinner either! Seriously, I like the goals you've set, they are very realistic, funny how babies will do that to ya.

Fe-lady said...

Oh heck yes yoga counts! I told you I was in way over my head...I should be in a different class, as I don't even know the terminology well, but Wed. A.M. is the only time I can go so I will try to stick with it and let you know how it goes!
Baby steps..baby steps...just like little geek will be taking one day soon. Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Michelle, Your goals are great. i was put on a apscial diet from my doctor so I am looking forward to being a LOT smaller by this summer. I just can't wait until the weather is warmer, so i can get out and walk and ride my bike.. Oh did I say that? I am speaking outloud again.. Wylee has been working a lot and I am missing her A LOT!!! I need my gym partner back!!

Unknown said...

I am a such sucker for tollhouse cookies! (Although I haven't baked them in years, because ... if they're in the house, I'll just eat 'em!)