Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Oskee Wow Wow

Woke up from the baby sleep deprivation/I've got a cold coma and got settled in front of the tv just in time to catch the coverage of the Illinois float and the Marching Illini in the Rose Parade!!!

Talk about making my day. Seeing live coverage of the band brought tears to my eyes. Daily life - especially now - makes it easy to forget about college glories more than a decade past. But it only takes a few bars of Oskee Wow Wow or a distant 'I-L-L, I-N-I' floating in the background audio to bring it all back, and make me feel like I'm supposed to be grabbing my clarinet and lining up for the pregame show.

Life's pretty great now and I'm not one to live in the past. But the years I spent in the Marching Illini were hands down some of the best of my life. I've never worked so hard for something before and since, and it made me a stronger person. It brings me untold joy to see my beloved MI highlighted in one of the premiere events in sports.

3 comments:

Duane said...

Happy New Year

Sixteen Chickens said...

Happy New Year Siren and Family! (Don't tell me you went to band camp. ;))

triguyjt said...

siren.. good luck as you jump up in age group.. you'll be the young one... now rule the age group!!! hey, the illini band was a cool sight to see.
thats coming from an Ohio guy
happy 08