Thursday, April 17, 2008

I Guess My Wrist Was Lonely

Cause my left foot joined the pain party, and my right one is trying to schmooze its way past the bouncers.


Luckily I've got PT Chris on my side, and while I was in for my wrist session she gave me some orthotics for my running shoes that are already making a difference just walking around in them (she's making me wear them all day for the time being).

In other news...

Since I'm trying to rest my ouchy foot I left Baby Bear with Grandma and went for my first real swim in 6 months. It wasn't pretty, but I survived. I just decided to swim easy for as long as I could. I stopped around 33 minutes with plenty of gas left in the tank. (We won't talk about the fact that the pace worked out to roughly 3:30/100 yds. Let's just focus on the fact that I swam successfully today, in spite of a wrist injury that hurt with every stroke.)

Basically, today was about finding out if I can make it through the swim leg of my race in (OMFG what have I done?!) 8 weeks (my worst time in this race's swim is 27 min), however ungracefully, and I'm satisfied I can.

And speaking of that race... today I got an email from a girlfriend asking if I'd be interested in doing it because she's volunteering there! We've only recently gotten to know each other, so she had no idea she was talking about my favorite race. We're SO. EXCITED! She's got a thyroid problem too and is also struggling to get it (and her weight) under control, so we have tons in common. (She's also afraid of open water, just like me.) She's eager to tackle the course herself next year, and I'm thrilled to be the one to take her through it.

2 comments:

LBTEPA said...

That is such a pain (sorry aboutn the bad pun) - sending healing vibes to you.
You'll finish that race - but remember pregnancy/childbirth means a whole new you- Siren MkII.
How cool that your friend is getting involved in tris!
Thyroid problems suck; thank goodness mine has stabilsed at last (touch wood).

Sixteen Chickens said...

Getting in the pool is such a treat, isn't it? Ahhh, nothing like floating around. Hope your foot heals quickly and doesn't tell the other one! 8 weeks? OMG!