Sunday, April 20, 2008

I Told You So

Last week I started putting my treadmill on a 1% incline for my indoor runs. Because I've always struggled with the frustration of finding myself able to run less than half the distance outdoors as in, and I'd read in many articles and been told by many people this would help because it more closely simulates running on pavement.

I've known about this helpful hint for at least two years. But I've never used it because of these very important mitigating circumstances:

- It's hard.
- I don't want to.
- Seriously, it's hard.

I finally caved and started the incline thing because my sheer panic over the half marathon thing is, at this point, outmitigating my prior mitigations.

So, after only one stinkin' week of doing it this new way my weekend outdoor run felt substantially more manageable, and the whole workout my Inner Runner was rubbing a great big giant "I told you so" in my face.

So, mitigating circumstances notwithstanding, I feel like a moron for not doing this sooner.

But on the bright side, at least I found a way to put a dent in the panic. : D

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I just read about this tip last week. I'm really glad to hear about your "real world" experience with it. I'll definitely start putting it into practice since I tend to be more of an indoor runner, too.

jbmmommy said...

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that!

To quote from "A League of Their Own", "The hard is what makes it good." I would print that and put it up on my wall at work, but I think it can be interpreted as something other than intended here as well.

Don't panic, you'll do it.

Trisaratops said...

Woo hoo! Nice job, chica!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

It's amazing what a difference a 1% incline can make! Way to go!!!