Friday, September 26, 2008

Ownin It

I'm getting that totally cool feeling I get when I have to order a new Speedo. Because, ya know, I's an athlete and all. And I, like, wore the old one out.

Let's not dwell on the fact that this suit wore out more from being stretched through a pregnancy than heavy training. I still wore out a heavy duty suit from actual use, and that makes me feel all kinds of cool.

I have always gotten the same boring navy Speedo. Call it an outward expression of my not-so-secret inferiority complex. I had this ridiculous idea that I had a better chance of being taken seriously as an athlete if I wore a serious navy Speedo.

Well, it seems I've grown a pair and gotten over that ridiculous notion. Even though I'm currently in the worst condition I've been in for about 3 years and I'm still plagued with nagging injuries, I'm feeling more confident about my status as an athlete than ever before.

There's something inside of me that's finally starting to believe this wasn't a phase and that my life has changed forever in the best possible way. I no longer have this desperate need for the approval of every random stranger that crosses my path in the pool or on the bike trail, and I no longer feel the need to wear gear that screams "I Belong Here. Seriously. Please Believe Me."

I have no idea where this new confidence has come from, but I decided to own it. Starting with my new suit.

This is as close as I could get to hot pink. It's ok, though, 'cause now I've got a hot pink suit attitude to make up for it.

6 comments:

jbmmommy said...

Nice suit! I hope that Baby Bear isn't taking off too quickly on you. It's a whole new world once they're mobile. Enjoy!

brendaj said...

I love pink. My favorite workout suit was pink with palm trees, but then I left that one in Hawaii by accident, so I had to replace it with a blue one in the same print, since they were all out of the pink!

LBTEPA said...

Ooooh! You GO HOT PINK LADY!!!
I have acquired a lot of pretty lairy (brightly coloured) exercise clothes over the last couple of years. It's all about not being apologetic, isn't it?

Sixteen Chickens said...

I want one! Is it completely lined, back and front? I've decided to only buy suits that are lined completely, otherwise the butt wears out and the front is fine and I can't SEE that the butt is worn out unless I back up to a mirror, and I don't enjoy backing up to a mirror (gee I wonder why Mr's Ben and Jerry) and so I don't actually KNOW that the suit is worn out and end up flashing my big butt crack to everyone at the pool. Hence the need for a completely lined suit. So yeah, if it's pink and lined, I'm going to be your twin.

Erin said...

I'm totally with you on the buying of a new suit sentiment. I love it, b/c it means that I logged all those hours...me...in the pool.

Kudos to you -- and loving the pink suit!

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice new suit! And I've nearly worn through the butts of some of my Speedo Jammers before. Not pretty.