Monday, April 09, 2007

Inspiration

I met another triathlete at my physical therapy appointment today. A nice looking, professional, extremely fit gentleman of indeterminate age. From his appearance I'd have guessed early 40s, but his gray hair suggested perhaps even 50s. PT Chris whispered a few things to me as he was coming in because she knew I'd appreciate who he was and what he's accomplished...

- he started doing triathlon in 1991
- he was very competitive
- his IM times were all in the 9-10 hour range
- he's done Kona
- he's got serious knee problems, so can't run anymore
- since he can no long tri, now he focuses on long distance cycling

He's known Chris for years, so when they crossed paths recently out on a bike ride he mentioned some lower back/leg pain he was having. She told him to see his doctor right away, which sent him to her for therapy. I happened to hear her reviewing his diagnosis with her assistant - turns out he's got degenerative problems in his spine.

I've had a lot of challenges to overcome, but I haven't remotely had to face anything like this - nothing that would permanently impact my ability to race. He's already lost the ability to run (he said sometimes just walking a block can be excruciating), and is facing losing the ability to bike, and he's still doing everything he can to get treatment so he can keep doing the things he loves for as long as possible. An absolute inspiration, and just the mental kick in the pants I needed while things are a little nuts for me, physically speaking.

Bonus... He happened to have his Chocolate Lab - an incredibly well behaved 17 month female named Sweetie - in the car. Chris insisted he bring her in during his appointment, so we all got puppy love while we got worked on. Chris even had me sit in a chair instead of lay on the table for my treatments so I could give her love, which she soaked right up. Not the first time I've seen a dog in there, but the first time I've gotten to hang out with one the whole time. I LOVE her office.

Since he can't run now but has an energetic dog to work with, he was really excited to hear about how I bike with Kona. He's going to pull out his mountain bike and give it a shot with Sweetie.

2 comments:

Habeela said...

That is definitely inspiring!

Triteacher said...

I'm a sucker for an inspirational athlete with a dog. (The dog gets me every time!)