Sunday, April 29, 2007

Announcement

We wanted to wait until the official "out of the woods" 12-14 weeks to make this general knowledge, but it's been such an ordeal it simply got too hard to keep pretending there was nothing going on. So, here it is, even though I'm only 10 weeks along...

After more than 6 years of infertility, Wonderful Husband and I are expecting a baby! No medical intervention either. Apparently for me, (relatively) clean living, healthy eating and lots of exercise were better medicine than anything a fertility clinic could offer.

Part of the reason we've kept quiet is because we're realistic about things. I'm older, I have a messy medical history, and my doctor has been open and honest about the increased risks. Basically, we didn't want to have to untell the whole damn world if this didn't go well.

But like I said, this has become such an ordeal it simply isn't plausible to keep it quiet any longer. I've disappeared from my life - triathlon, personal and professional - and people are starting to ask questions. I'm too sick to keep up the facade any longer, and if people care enough about me to be asking, I should do them the honor of telling the truth. And besides, this has come far enough along that should it end badly, our friends have the right to know what we've been going through because it would be a genuine loss.

That said, except for being so hideously sick the doctor has had to talk about things like hospitals and IV fluids, the actual pregnancy is going swimmingly. All the levels of the various things are where they are supposed to be. Everything is the size it is supposed to be, when it's supposed to be it. And a teeny tiny little hearts is beating just the way it should.

Some of you don't know me all that well yet, so let me reassure you that we are deeply happy about this. We're not gushy hearts-and-flowers kinda folks, so on the surface we might not seem as enthusiastic as the typical expectant parents. And I promise I'll be more demonstrably happy once the constant nausea and vomiting phase has passed.

I've been Draft-posting since the ordeal began, so now that it's out in the open I'll start sharing those. I'll warn you ahead of time - so far this has been the worst experience of my life, so if you're you're expecting gushy new mommy stuff you might want to take a break from reading my blog until this phase passes.

17 comments:

Triteacher said...

Let me be the first to say: Heartfelt congratulations to you! Kona's getting a little bro or sis. :)

Trisaratops said...

Yayyyyyy I'm so happy that you can finally share! Doesn't keeping it secret blow goats? You're right--you get to the point where there's really no way to NOT explain what's going on, and know that we're here for you no matter where the highs and lows go.

And, um, yeah, you don't have to worry about sugar coating anything for me. You already know how much I freaking underestimated and was misinformed about, well, pretty much EVERYTHING. :) So far this has been one crazy ride for me...emphasis on CRAZY.

;)

jbmmommy said...

Wait a minute, teeny tiny little heartS- is that a plural on purpose?!

I so hope that you're past the awful sick phase soon. I know some people are capable of the gushy, mushy mom stuff immediately, I am only excited about pregnancy because I now know all the fun that lies ahead. The first time around I really didn't get much of a thrill out of it.

Best wishes to you and share away, anything you want to share, we're here for support.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I remember the throwing up. And no doctor has ever given me an understandable explanation for why being pregnant makes you throw up. I've known about this for a while, of course, but let me way again congratu-freekin-lations!!. You're an awesome antie, and you're going to be an awesome mommie.

LBTEPA said...

Yay!
Not for the nausea/vomiting though. Hope it passes soon (hugs)

Anonymous said...

A big congrats!!! Yay for achieving this milestone... First trimester will pass soon enough, and hopefully bring you some relief.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Congrats. Some of us were definitely wondering where'd you been hiding, but I'm sure we're all happy to hear it's been for the best of reasons. Don't worry about telling us how it really is. We know pregnancy, the first trimester especially, ain't no walk in the park. You'll handle it, as you do everything else, with aplomb and as much grace as is possible when you're hugging a large precelain object!

:) said...

Congratulations to you both!!! I am so happy for you.

Sixteen Chickens said...

The big secret is out... and so is all the food you ate this morning. Well, I really shouldn't be make jokes should I? I'm so happy for you, you're going to be a great Mom!

Bolder said...

now THAT is an announcement

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Yeah!!!

(clapping hands excitedly)

I was getting a little worried when posts slowed down, but SO GLAD to hear that all is well!!

Yeah!!!!!!!

Born To Endure said...

SWEET!!!!! Don't worry, the throwing up will pass..enjoy that little one growing inside of you..;-))

The Big Cheese said...

Cograts, and all the best

Rebecca said...

how exciting! congrats to you and your husband!

Habeela said...

I knew it!! YAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm doing one giant happy dance for you today! :D

Lisa said...

Hooray the news is out!!

To give you and your hubby some extra positive thoughts-- a couple co-workers of mine have been having the same types of troubles, lost at least 2 babies. She is now 5 days overdue! Here's to healthy overdue babies!