Wednesday, November 14, 2007

And I Thought the Insomnia Was Bad Before

It's 3 am. Do you know where your next mortgage payment is coming from?

This was supposed to be a gushy post about the results of my check-up. How the doctor said the baby grew quite a lot in the last week, how she sent me for an extra ultrasound because she's talking about inducing early and how I was going to find out this morning when that might be.

Instead, I get to report that Wonderful Husband got laid off.

It was yet another round of Motorola lay-off madness, and for the umpteenth time in a dozen years it looked like he'd been spared again since the other people in his group to go were informed last week. We'd literally just stopped holding our breath today... and then at noon he got a call for an impromptu meeting with his boss's boss (his boss was laid off last week).

He really is the most amazing man. While I was calling from the car to gush about the ultrasound, he was calmly pretending he wasn't 5 minutes from walking into the meeting in which he was 99% sure he was about to lose his job.

In fact, after hanging up the phone, in the 10 minutes it took me to get home, he managed to get a hold of my BF and have her come over "for a cup of tea and to play with Storm" so I wouldn't be alone when he called to break the news after his meeting.

(Yes, I thought it was a bit odd she dropped by at 3:00 on a work day, but it's not totally unusual. Her office is only 4 blocks away and sometimes she takes a little sanity break.)

So. Yeah. Let's just say I'm a bit overwhelmed. And I thought the week started out shitty when the mother-in-law's dog died on Sunday.

At least the severance will keep us in health insurance long enough to cover the birth and keep a roof over our heads through the (nobody fucking hires during the) holidays.

I think I'm going to regress into lurking mode for a while. I'll keep my Google Reader queue active and check in on everyone's adventures as much as I can. I promise I'll get up a post when the baby comes, but then I'm going to need a break while we sort out little things like the future of our entire family.

11 comments:

LBTEPA said...

OMG that is terrible news. Take care mate and hang in there. (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Oh so sorry to hear this. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there!

jbmmommy said...

So not what you needed right now. You and wonderful husband will be in my thoughts and prayers, I hope things work out quickly for you. Take care.

Unknown said...

We're here if you need us...so blog or e-mail if you just need to vent. We'll all be thinking of you both, and eventually the three of you, and hoping this all sorts out to your benefit.

Kim Herring said...

OMG - I am so sorry to hear that - talk about bad timing. I'm thankful for you that you will have health insurance coverage and a severance package. Just remember that you have a little bundle of joy about to arrive into your life and it's a major event to look forward to. I know it's hard right now but I'll be praying that a job comes along for your husband and that your health is good along with the babies.

Brent Buckner said...

That's harsh.

I know that you and your husband will work through this rough patch, but I understand that it's tough.

Diane said...

So sorry to hear. Just remember that severance is negotiable and it never hurts to ask. Hopefully he will find something soon but with a January start date so he can spend quality time with you and the baby. Good luck.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry! (But relieved to hear that your health coverage will continue.)

I'll be thinking of you!

Sixteen Chickens said...

Ouuff, that is a punch in the gut. You've got some big decisions coming down the pipe (man, what is wrong with my euphemisms today? "punch in the gut" "down the pipe" sheesh she's pregnant, stupid.) Let me know if you need anything, I'm not sure I can scrounge up an extra mortgage payment in the sofa cushions but I could do something. Look, I've found $.67 in my desk already!

Spandex King said...

That's bad news. Hang in there, things will work out.

Julia said...

If there is anything we can do for you please speak up!