Tuesday, November 06, 2007

OMGI'mGoingToHaveABaby

As promised, here's my totally self-indulgent, not remotely triathlon related pre-baby post. Please feel free to move along if you're looking for tales of training glory, athletic epiphanies or 2008 race schedules, 'cause I ain't got it for ya today.

Just past 37 weeks and all is well.

So well, in fact, that my midwife seems to think I might go a wee bit sooner rather than later, and is encouraging me to take care of packing the hospital bag. On account of stuff like having over 30 Braxton-Hicks contractions on Sunday (and a few other clear physical indicators the details of which you won't mind if I don't share).

And here I was being all good, keeping my insanity in check and not allowing myself to pack it in, ya know, June. I've seriously been restraining myself and was going to finally allow that particular OCD checklist frenzy to happen in about a week. Now I guess it needs to happen... today. Just in case and all.

Not that I don't love me a good OCD checklist frenzy. It's just that I was so proud of myself for keeping it under control I'm a little disappointed I'll be doing it early after all!

Here's where things are at with The Great OCD Baby Prep:

- Birth Plan researched, written and approved? CHECK
- Questioned own sanity half a dozen times a day for putting in Birth Plan that my goal is natural childbirth? CHECK
- Prenatal records sent to hospital? CHECK
- Hospital pre-registration sent? CHECK
- Life insurance arranged? CHECK
- 529 college plan opened? CHECK
- Looked longingly at 2008 race schedules? CHECK
- Pediatrician researched, interviewed and choice confirmed? CHECK
- Removed cat from bassinet 4872 times before giving up and letting him sleep there? CHECK
- Car seat installation approved by local law enforcement? CHECK
- Spent stupid amounts of money on special baby laundry detergent? CHECK
- Stacks of receiving blankets and burp cloths washed and organized? CHECK
- Crib and bassinet sheets washed and organized? CHECK
- Discover scent of stupidly expensive special baby detergent is awful, will probably give me headaches and that my unscented allergen free stuff would have been fine? CHECK
- Let Kona sniff all the freshly washed baby gear to get him used to the new things? CHECK
- Rewashed all the clean baby gear Kona drooled on? CHECK
- Freezer stocked full of chili, spaghetti sauce, chicken stock and assorted casseroles? CHECK
- Baby toys rearranged half a dozen times? CHECK
- Taken a nap in nursery rocker just to test it out? CHECK
- Adorable crib bedding set up and mobile installed? CHECK
- Gone through 6 different contact lists (yes, that many between the two of us, business and personal!) to pre-organize birth announcements? CHECK
- Purchased pajamas suitable for nursing? CHECK
- Tried on every nursing bra at maternity store and left in frustration? CHECK
- Gotten pissed off at need to special order stupidly ginormous (40G-H?!?!) nursing bras that hardly exist anywhere, even online? CHECK
- Agonized over lack of wardrobe to fit ever-expanding belly? CHECK
Taken 11/3/07, 37 weeks gestation.

- Planned iPod playlist of soothing music for labor? CHECK
- Gone psycho cleaning basement storage area and stocking with empty storage totes for soon-to-be-overwhelming supply of kid's clothes and toys? CHECK
- Hitting grocery store every 3 days to feed sudden unquenchable craving for milk? CHECK
- Obsessively watching (and crying over) every baby show on TV? CHECK
- Stared in silent amazement at teeny tiny socks? CHECK
- Nursery looking sickeningly cute? CHECK
- Baby's name? I'm sorry, what was that?
- Baby's name?! Uuuummm... yeah. I'll have to get back to you on that.

I'm exhausted just thinking about it all. I'm feeling confident though, like I'm pretty sure I haven't forgotten anything really important.

Now I'm going to hit the gym for a swim while I still can, because these darn "practice" contractions just won't leave me alone and I don't know how many more workouts I'll get in before the real ones kick in. I can pack the bag later tonight...

12 comments:

Jennifer P said...

I'm tired just looking at what you've done. I think we did not even half of that stuff (including removing the cat from the bassinet).
That is one DAMN fine nursery.
For nursing bras I wouldn't worry about cup sizes -- go for the sports bra type. They're much more forgiving. And the Girls will change a lot so there's no point in buying anything now.
Good luck!

jbmmommy said...

Ahh, the joys of pre-baby planning. Sounds like you've got it all covered. You look great, the nursery's adorable, the cat will likely never sleep in the bassinet when the baby's there, but will love it the rest of the time. Best wishes for the home stretch, I look forward to hearing about baby's arrival!

:) said...

You are going to be the best mommy...

Can't wait to see the little one!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

oh WOW, that went by FAST, didn't it? It won't be long now! Holy cow, how time flies; I didn't realize you were so close! exciting! EXCITING! Add to your checklist: give husband passwork to blog so that he can post and put up pictures when the big event arrives!

LBTEPA said...

that list is frighteningly similar to the one I made....(except the birth plan - that's what I paid my obstetrician for)
BTW another thing to do t make sure Kona knows he's lower down the pack than tri-baby is get one of bub's wet nappies and dab it around the walls about elbow height. Kona will think, sheesh, that's a big puppy...true! Worked for our shepherd and staffy :)

Kim Herring said...

You are looking absolutely adorable and it looks like everything else is ready! I agree with hubby needing password to post pics - can't wait to see cute TriBaby!

Unknown said...

Siren, you've got it all goin' on!! (I'm with you on the unscented detergent!)

Trisaratops said...

Holy smokes, you already have your college fund set up?!?!?!! Impressive!

You forgot one thing....SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP

Sleep now while ya can! I haven't gotten more than 4 hours of consecutive sleep since September 30th.

But it's SOOOOOOOO worth it. :)

CAN'T WAIT SO EXCITED FOR YA!

Unknown said...

I love your nursery!!

I so wish you had posted this a few weeks ago, I had a bunch of cute classic pooh things that I recently got rid of. D'oh! I think you would have appreciated them more than the person that ended up with them since you have a Pooh themed room. I would have been happy to send them your way.

RawTriGirl said...

Delurking to say - Don't even bother getting the ginormous nursing bra until the baby is born and the milk comes in. Cuz they're gonna get even bigger. Sorry to break it to ya! It's a sad sad but beautiful thing.

Thinking of you!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

oh...my...goodness...I'm totally stressed just reading your list. You need to publish your own "how-to" book!! LOVE the cat in the crib :-)

Cara said...

I've been reading your blog now and then for awhile (found it through trisaratops). I was due on Nov 2, but went early and had him on Sep. 30 -- so I was nowhere near as prepared with my checklist!!
Maybe add 'sleep for ten hours and shower every day', just because you still can. (If you still can -- I noticed this post was from last week, so things might have changed drastically since then!)
Best of luck to you!!!

Cara
carainolvidable.blogspot.com