Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Polar Problem

It appears the battery in my HRM died.

Either that, or, well, I'm dead. So let's go with the first theory.

It died in a long, drawn-out way that totally messed with my head. I was having one of my 'hey, it doesn't suck so bad if I can survive the first 30 minutes' days and the HRM started saying stuff like 132 BPM... when I was running my fastest.

I wanted to believe it, but decided not to record those reading in my training log. Sure enough, when I got on the treadmill the next day it was dead. Or, like I said, I was.

So here's my question - do y'all change the batteries in your own polar or do you send it in?

The instructions take a very 'sure, you can DO it, but don't come crying to use when it blows up in your face' attitude about the whole thing and encourage you to mail it into the service center.

I don't swim with it (yet) so am less concerned about the seal than I might be. But I do hope to swim with it at some point in the future, when my training warrants such a step. And I am a redonkulously copious and salty sweater, so maybe I should be concerned about the seal even if I don't swim with it.

Am I thinking about this too much? Should I just change the damn battery? Or am I right in considering the mail-in service center hassle?

4 comments:

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I always change my own, but then I don't have a Polar. So I guess this isn't very helpful. Sorry.

LBTEPA said...

What a pain!
Maygbe a local jeweller that does waterproof watches?

brendaj said...

I'm embarrassed to admit that a few buttons popped off the side of my Polar LAST YEAR and I still haven't fixed it! Technically it's still running...

Tony said...

I hope you are not dead, I would greatly miss your posts each week.

My friend had the same thing happen to him, he sent it in and it took about six weeks to get it back.

Keep up the great work!