Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Endorphins Are My Friend

I did the smart/selfish thing and used my babysitter time for a run instead of work. I might have gone a bit overboard - I got a bit too much sun and beat my knees up, but I managed to drive the demons out so its all good.

Less than a mile into it both my knees seemed off, so I renegotiated my route to bring me back past the house a couple of times rather than forcing myself into a no-exit-strategy 5 mile out-and-back when I'd never gone that far before.

I managed to run the first mile without stopping, and at the pace I've been working on the treadmill. I don't love the pace itself, but I love that I've been able to find it and stick to it consistently without a machine.

Since this was only my 2nd workout in the last 4 weeks obviously I can't report that I ran all 5 miles. Or that I even managed to stick with my 2 minute walk break plan - there was muuuuch more walking. But I'm still very happy with how it turned out.

- There was more striding, less plodding
- My legs felt fresh after walk breaks, and I was able to run longer with better form
- Except on one long uphill, my head never felt like it was going to explode
- About 3 miles in things got easier, which is unheard of. I suspect the caffeine in the Kona Cola Nuun I was trying out.
- I had the chance to stop at 4 miles and was happy to feel like I still had another one in me
- It was my legs, not my lungs, that ultimately called a halt to things. Also new and exciting.

The last quarter mile all my toes were on fire in a 'blisters forming here' kind of way (this happens every workout now, ever since I got the plantar fasciitis orthotics). Then I noticed my right ankle was hurting because I was walking funny to take the pressure off my toes. My knees didn't like any of this. I was glad to be a block from home.

I took my recovery drink (mmmm, chocolate), iced both knees and took ibuprofen. By bedtime they felt FUN. KY. This morning they were stiff, but not too bad. Had PT for wrist anyway, so she taped the knee bugging me the worst (and gave me another lecture on doing too much).

Mile 1: 13:58 (only one w/out any walking)
Mile 2:16:17
Mile 3: 16:14
Mile 4: 18:12
Mile 5: 22:43
Total 1:28

Slow for 5 miles, sure, but I'm proud of myself. I'm proud for handling my stress with exercise. I'm proud for going more miles than I've ever gone before. And I'm proud for going for longer time than I've ever gone before.

8 comments:

brendaj said...

Nice job! Re: your last post, it reminds me of how my husband says to me "working out is good for your mental health." It's true! Recruit as much help from your hubby as possible so that you can get some much needed breaks!

LBTEPA said...

*LOUD APPLAUSE*
BTW Never use the word selfish in relation to looking after yourself again please!

Trisaratops said...

Yay!!!!

And I agree. That's not selfish. That's a PART of who you are.

Proud of you, sista!

Sixteen Chickens said...

I ran my dog down today after she escaped the fence because of fireworks fear. That counts, right? I know I couldn't keep up that pace for a mile, but when it comes to a sprint I still can run down my dog... ok, ok, I know she is gimpy but still...

Hey, you ran! Way to go!

jbmmommy said...

Great job on all counts! Happy mom means a happy baby, happy family, good stuff all around.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

"About 3 miles in things got easier," I'm never warmed up until at least after the first 2 miles. Until then, my heart rate soars and I can't catch my breath. That's kind of discouraging on a 5K, but there it is. Glad to see you back at it!

:) said...

Nice job...!

Pharmie said...

Congrats on a great workout. Never feel guilty about taking a little time for yourself :)