Friday, November 07, 2008

Pauline Marie Barnes Bailey 1925-2008

The generational shift in my family is almost palpable.

It hasn't hit me yet. I'm too far from home. But just like with Grandpa, I'm sure it will hit me the farther south I drive.

I have no idea how I'm going to deal with cleaning out her house. It was the one place in an extremely difficult childhood where we felt safe, and where all the happy memories from that awful time were formed. It's where I learned about the Cubs, homemade ice cream and what Thanksgiving is supposed to smell like. The place we walked to after school to knaw on the homemade cookies we stole from Grandma's stash in the deep freeze.

For various physical and emotional reasons, the ones left in my mom's generation simply can't do it. And there's no way I'm going to leave it all to my SIL (new aka The Saint). It's the least I can do, after the last few years of everyone giving everything they had to help keep Grandma comfortable in her own home.

So after the funeral suits go the dry cleaners I'll don my work gloves and grubby jeans and start the daunting task of sorting through 60-some years of stuff.

I wonder if there are still cookies in the freezer.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My deepest sympathies, Siren.

LBTEPA said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear that ((hugs)). You're in my prayers

Sixteen Chickens said...

You have her smile.
My thoughts are with you as you travel this difficult road. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. If there aren't any cookies in the freezer perhaps you can put some in.

Patricia said...

I'm sorry for your lost ((hug))

Wow such a good looking couple!!!

jbmmommy said...

My condolences to you and your family. What a beautiful woman she was, both inside and out from the tone of your remembrances of her.