Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Book Reports

I was thinking about this whole blog thing, and how cool it is to be part of such an amazing community. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that some of the best posts aren't even about triathlon. We are a diverse and fascinating group of people, and none of us are so one-dimensional that other aspects of our lives can't creep into the thoughts we put on screen.

In keeping with this little epiphany, I wanted to come up with a recurring feature that simultaneously demonstrated who I am while not stealing from anyone else's innovations.

I've been a voracious reader since I can remember. When I was a kid, getting grounded meant having my books taken away instead of tv. Books are more valuable to me than gold and diamonds, and I can't imagine everyday life without being in the middle of reading one or three or five at any given time.

So, starting this week, when I finish devouring a particularly fabulous specimen I will feature it as a book report. Sometimes they'll be sports related, but that will be the exception rather than the rule. I noticed that a disproportionate percentage of bloggers are also writers (there's an obvious causal relationship there I won't belabor), so my hope is to spread some good literary cheer, and maybe a little support for some writers who don't get enough press.

No comments: