Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Getting my feet wet again

Kept that promise to myself and went to the gym for a swim for my first real workout in nearly 3 weeks. For once I didn't mind the absurdly overheated water. Today I let it cradle me like a warm bath. I only swam 20 slow, easy laps of drills (about 600 yards in our inky dinky pool) but it was enough for today.

I felt like the Scarecrow must have when Dorothy brought him the oil can. All the recent work on my stroke has basically gone out the window and I felt tight and clumsy and got more than my normal share of chlorine in the ol' sinuses. But I had moments of smooth graceful motion, and my muscles started to remember what it's all about. Tomorrow will be an easy run workout, and Friday I'm looking forward to some swim coaching from an old friend. Definitely feels like I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Now I'm going to let my husband take me out for a decisively unhealthy birthday dinner. Not sure where yet, but I'm confident that alfredo sauce and tiramisu will be involved.

No comments: