Monday, December 05, 2005

Triathlon touched my heart

Regular doctor running late. Been waiting over an hour, so agree to let New Doctor do exam.

(Checks heart)

"Hmmm."

(Looks at me funny. Checks heart again. Checks chart.)

"Oh. It must be the Inderal slowing you down."

I've been on Inderal (a blood pressure medicine that happens to work for migraine prophylaxis) for 10 years. Nobody ever commented on a slow pulse before. In fact, doctor comments used to be about elevated blood pressure. New Doctor didn't comment on my now-normal BP, because why would she? Just wish I'd thought to ask what my old RHR was so I'd know how much my cardiac health has improved.

This was one more number - in addition to my weight, BMI and jean size - that triathlon has taken a great big bite out of. Woo hoo!

2 comments:

Sixteen Chickens said...

My resting HR has dropped to 44. The nurse who checks my pulse always checks it twice, and then the doctor always says "slow but steady." Sometimes I can feel my heart beating in my gut, weird. Thanks for the tip on the shoes, will try them on next time.

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Not weird!

Just last week in yoga I learned how to feel my heartbeat in my hands and feet during the relaxation part. I think it just means we're becoming more connected with our bodies, and that can't be a bad thing.