Monday, December 19, 2005

Dog days

My precious little girl is in critical condition. She took a dramatic turn for the worse this weekend. Even with everything my old job taught me, and knowing what to look for and being in more or less constant contact with the vet, her condition took a major nose dive.

She's at the animal hospital now. Because of her refusal to eat and the endless diarrhea she's now very dehyrated. Saturday night she took a noticeable turn for the worse in general, plus started a constant coughing/gagging thing. Over night last night she started having very labored breathing. Of course they took a picture right away this morning; her lungs are filled with fluid.

There's no good way to know why this happened with her lungs. There are several possibilities, the most likely of which that she is septic.

One big problem is that she's too dehydrated right now to use furosemide (lasix) to help dry her lungs out, but the IV rehydration could cause her lungs to worsen, depending on the root cause.

The only bright spot is that one of the toxin panels came back positive for Clostridium perfringens. Two of the panels are still pending, but at least we now have something specific to target, and a known weapon (amoxicillin) with which to attack it.

She's in such bad shape they won't let me bring her home tonight, and they aren't even comfortable leaving her in their hospital overnight. It looks like we're going to transfer her to a 24 hour critical care facility about an hour from here (Milwaukee) that my vet trusts.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry to hear your dog is not doing well! I hope that she improves... having a pet who is ill is not fun. You'll be in my thoughts!

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Much appreciated. It's 11pm and we just got home from the new hospital. Not having had kids yet, this is the hardest thing I've ever dealt with. She's my baby. She's so sick we even had to decide whether to make her a dnr.