Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Little Me Time

This weekend, Wonderful Husband took Baby Bear for a dry run sleepover at our dear friends' place. Because the Bear has never spent a night without me, and we needed to see how it would go. Because in 2 weeks Bear is going to spend 3 days with these beloved friends, who lost their minds generously offered to keep him so we could go here for a weekend to honor our 10 year anniversary. (Which was in October, but had to be postponed due to husbands with angry gallbladders.)

I had NO IDEA what to do with myself. It's probably been 2 years since I had the house to myself for a weekend.

So what did I do?

I had a meal fit for a... triathlete. One who's thinking about getting ready for race season.



And had a bubble bath. And painted part of the bathroom. And tried to catch up on 6 years worth of backlogged photo albums. And had a long conversation with a buddy about what races to register for this season.

There were no Cosmos with the girls, or partying of any kind. Just an internal debate over whether or not I could fit in a workout AND paint the bathroom before my guys got home. (The answer, it turns out, was no.)

I know I've only been back on any sort of workout schedule for 2 weeks (and I seem to have gained as many pounds in that time), but I'm already feeling more like the me I was afraid I'd lost when the Bear came along.

It's a relief to know I didn't get lost. Just temporarily misplaced.

(In case anyone is curious... that's a baked parmesan crusted tilapia filet on a bed of brown rice, served with a lemony sour cream sauce, red cabbage braised with balsamic vinegar and edamame. YUM.)

3 comments:

Sixteen Chickens said...

Yay! I'm so glad you are going to have your getaway after all! How did the Bear do on his overnight?

I had to smile when I saw your plate-- no spoon, no napkin, no drink, just a fork. Your roots are showing. ;) JK, I think that's what happens when you become a mommy, you realize you don't need those extra bits.

IronWaddler said...

Doesn't it feel good when it starts to come back!

jbmmommy said...

We all knew you weren't lost, just adjusting. Enjoy your trip and getting back into training.