Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Cough That Wouldn't Die

As I enter week three of my epic cough saga, I happened across Nytro's tale of whooping cough and got a bit freaked out since mine's not getting any better.

I also realized that after 15 days of hard core coughing it was time to call the doctor again, because his initial diagnosis of bronchitis (with instructions to get a humidifier and cough syrup) is looking a bit suspect.

I tried more than once this afternoon, finally got throught at 4:58. They were not amused at a closing time call, but when I told them what's going on they put the doctor on the line. He sounded genuinely concerned and said I need to come in right away (i.e. Thursday, when they're open again).

He said something that scared the crap out of me. He mentioned something called a "six month cough" and that he wanted to do some testing. I made a joke about that putting a hell of dent in my training and he did not laugh; he agreed with me in a serious voice. He's a marathoner, he understands about training.

He also said we can check for whooping cough antibodies to see if that's it, but he doesn't think so.

2 comments:

Violet said...

Did I mention the only thing good for that cough is Whisky and lots of it?

Sixteen Chickens said...

Six month cough?!?! Good grief! Where do they get this stuff? As if whooping cough isn't bad enough, let's just throw a good old half a year in there. Sheesh Siren! What are we gonna do with (for) you? Lung transplant seems like a good option. ;)