Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Moving the Goal Posts

In the past, any other day I felt like this I automatically got a Get Out of Gym Free card. Fatigued, headachy, deep burning cramps that feel like my uterus is attempting to claw its way out, related things making it more likely than not I'd have some sort of 'don't wear white sweats' type accident. Blech. Last couple of days I looked for a cure in the bottom of a pint of Chubby Hubby, but alas, it wasn't there. Plus I worked until 11:00 last night, so I was all ready this morning with my bag o' excuses.

Now I know damn well that I'll never finish losing weight, or get to the Chicago Marathon, or to IMMoo if I keep letting myself off the hook, but that argument with myself never works. Just makes me feel even more guilty for my sins. And as far as I'm concerned, it's a lot easier to go with "I'm in pain today" than "but I want to do a marathon in 2 years."

I was kind of on auto-pilot this morning, getting dressed and putting on my shoes; my body was on the way to work out even if I wasn't. I didn't make it to the gym - the accident risk level was still at Code Red (pun definitely intended) - but I did tear myself away from the computer long enough to get in 35 minutes on the elliptical. I'm not one of those mythical women for whom excercise makes the cramps magically melt away - in fact, they often increase intensity - but I feel better mentally and I'll take that.

It was after the workout I realized I moved the goalposts on myself. I could be guilt tripping hard for skipping the gym and taking the easy way out. But then I remembered that I would normally have just plain skipped. And I remembered there was a time when 35 minutes on the elliptical was literally beyond my capabilities. Now it's an easy workout on a crappy day. So I decided to be happy about that.

1 comment:

Sixteen Chickens said...

You know I used to have those same "excuses excuses" conversations with myself. Somehow I came to the conclusion you did, going and getting it over with is much better than staying home and beating myself up to boot. Now my body gets ready even if my mind is complaining. Once you have jumped that excuses hurdle the rest is all downhill.