Wednesday, February 08, 2006

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Yeah, see, I try to be a really good friend, and when my friends call and say 'hey, I won an auction on this office supply place that went out of business, I get anything I want out of the basement, come, help, get stuff for yourself' then I say 'when and where and I'll bring the van.' Cause I'm a good friend and all. And cause I really need a file cabinet and I can't afford one and I was thinking maybe I'd get lucky. So, good friend with a side of pragmatic.

Not so much. The office supply store's been there for over 50 years... as has the shit in that nasty ass corner of the basement. (In a way it was fascinating - bowling trophies from the 60s, piles of Kiwanis "men's organization" paperwork, boxes of typewriter ribbons, stacks of old-fashioned ledger paper from the days before QuickBooks, a pallet of rusty file cabinets, and on and on. All in jumbled heaps covered in thick gritty dusty schmutz. But I digress.) Even if there was something worth taking, the only way out was a set of steepy, narrow, creaky wooden stairs with a wobbly hand rail and a sharp corner at the top. We weren't there very long, but when I left my lungs were feeling kinda burny. I'd popped an allergy pill before I went, figuring on some dust, so I wasn't overly worried.

Oh how wrong I was.

Apparently I'm a wee bit allergic or something to whatever 50 year old dust/mold/dead things/sawdust (oh yeah, there was a woodworking area and apparently they were unfamiliar with the concept of the vaccuum) was down there and it was a bad idea to, say, breath it. Either that or I breathed in some alien mold spores and they're taking over. The way my chest feels, don't be surprised if you see me on the news with the alien guy bustin out. Been coughing so hard I've actually pulled muscles in my chest. And just for fun it appears I pulled something in my calf when I worked out yesterday. So now it hurts to walk and breath. Good times.

So, yeah. Pretty feverish too. Wrapped in layers of sweats and insulated robe and blankie and still shivering.

And yeah, when I started to feel like I just might die I did try to call the doctor. But, boys and girls, what freaking day is it? That's right, it's Wednesday. And we all know that doctors don't work on Wednesdays. Either of mine (I figured the allergist was worth a shot, given the circumstances).

I did go to most of my work things today... which means I saw my best marketing agency client this afternoon, which means I have a project due tomorrow! And Friday! And Monday! And Wednesday! And Thursday! (Seriously. Not fucking kidding.)

Sooo... who's up for writing technical copy about Caterpillar integrated hydraulic systems!? I better be, 'cause I got some due in 24 hours. (Heeeeey... I'll just wait for the alien guy to bust out! They're an advanced race, maybe he can write it for me!)

3 comments:

Sixteen Chickens said...

Oh girl, you poor thing, how you suffer. Hopefully the docs are in today. Call them, ok?

Spandex King said...

My daughter is alergic to about everything. This would have about killed her. Good Luck!!

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Unfortunately I've grown to be allergic to just about everything. (I take shots for dusts, 15 kinds of molds, trees, 3 kinds of grasses, dog, cat, etc etc etc). Frankly, I should have known better. We brought dust masks but they make me uncomfortable (in a claustrophobic, suffocating feeling kind of way) so I was an idiot and didn't wear mine.

Got a doctor appointment in a few hours. The whole mess seems to have progressed to a secondary sinus infection too, and I have an unbefreakinglievable pounding headache.

C'est la vie, I guess.