Sunday, February 24, 2008

Just A Tease

A couple days ago I got my chores done, got the baby fed and realized I had a couple hours before I had to start dinner. So I decided to carpe diem.

I went to my "new" gym (same as the old gym, but smaller and with less services). First time in a gym in about 4 months... first genuine attempt at running in nearly a year.

I ran some easy(ish) intervals. Top working pace was 13:20, which is good for me regarldess of the circumstances. It even felt a little slow, but I wasn't dumb enough to push any harder than that.

It was wonderful. I worked hard enough to actually need the bottle of Nuun I'd brought and to feel like the trip was worth it.

And. Right there in the middle of it all.... I gots me a leetle bitty taste of the ooooh so elusive Runner's High.

Just a Tiny. Little. Taste.

Like one of those bite-size Halloween candy bars. Decadent and delicious and really nothing but a tease.

SO. Worth it. And SO. Making me want to keep chasing it down the rabbit hole.

(Several days later my legs are still bitching me out over the incident. Seems THEY were the only part of me that remembered the whole 'haven't run in a year' thing. But I'm sure they'll forgive me and I'll be able to climb the stairs again soon enough.)

6 comments:

LBTEPA said...

You go girl! Congratulations darl

Anonymous said...

Great job. It's hardest to get back into routine. Your legs will recover!

Unknown said...

Runner's high! Way to go, Siren! (Oddly enough, my legs are mad at me right now, too. So I can really say I feel your pain, and mean it!)

jbmmommy said...

Good for you. Not only will the legs recover, some day they'll thank you. I'm still waiting for that day, too.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Good job. I've never had the runners high. I thought I was having it once, but it turned out to be low blood sugar. Seriously. There is this old guy in a marathon movie that I saw that said, "the only high I get is when I get to stop running" and I guess that's where I kind of am at, not because I'm happy to be done, but I'm happy I did it.

Sixteen Chickens said...

Runner's high, ooooh I love it! Oddly enough I seem to get it most on the bike. Good job on the run!