Friday, February 08, 2008

One Problem Solved

In the weeks since my gym closed and kicked us all out, leaving me desperate for a pool, I started asking around about its sister facility in the next town over. To my absolute frustration, over the last 3 months I received the following contradictory reports:

- it does not have a pool (from quite a few people, including ones who claim to have been there)
- it has a pool, but it's smaller (from an employee)
- it closed at the same time as my gym (from the Parks and Rec people)
- it's still open but is struggling financially and changed its rate structure (from an employee)

I finally gave up trying to get the information secondhand and drove my ass over there after yoga today. It's about twice as far as my old gym but since it's through a rural area with no stoplights it only takes a few minutes more in travel time. (Oh, and I totally got lost on the way trying to take a shortcut. I was 10 minutes from my own house and had to call my BF to ask for directions. Good times.)

Anyway, there is a pool but it is smaller (about 40 feet long). But, doesn't have all those pesky water aerobics classes to interfere with my swim workouts! (Bad for other members, great for me.) AND, my favorite part... this gym has one of those secret entrances from the locker room to the pool so you don't have to parade through the lobby in a bathing suit.

The part about rate structure was true, too, but in a good way - they cut memberships in HALF to compete with the newer chain gyms going into local strip malls. So I paid for WH too, and it still cost less than my single membership before. Added extra bonus - the new manager at this gym was the old assistant manager at my old gym and kind of a friend of mine (in an 'occasionally go to the same parties' kind of way). So she not only waived the join fee, she told me I can bring the baby to the pool any time!

So, Yay! It's not like I've got time to actually use the pool right now, but at least I can officially come down off the "there's nowhere to swim" ledge. It's about the worst possible pool you can imagine and it's not in a convenient location, but at this point water is water and for 30 bucks a month I'll take it.

2 comments:

brendaj said...

Nice job searching out the new pool!

Sixteen Chickens said...

I KNEW something would work out! Thanks for the nice emails too!