Monday, February 04, 2008

RIP

My computer died yesterday. It's DEAD dead, in a "my, what a lovely doorstop" kind of way.

Thankfully the automated backup ran Saturday night, so I didn't lose any business files at all.

BUT. I lost The Calorie Nazi.

And I didn't just lose the application, I lost all my data, including all my personal recipes and food preferences I have so painstakingly spent the last year adding in.

All the rest of my personal files were backed up. We just didn't realize those files weren't in my primary directories (the ones we have on the back-up schedule).

So, I have to go spend money I can't afford to buy a new computer today. And then spend the next week or so going through the torture of setting it all up the way I like. And then I'll get even MORE behind in blogging (at this point Google Reader would be better off just slapping an infinity symbol on my unread post count) and, ya know, the other general online stuff that really matters : )

I will revive The Calorie Nazi. I think. But it's going to be painful and time-consuming. And not just because the keys that I need to download the software without buying it again were among the lost files. I'm in a weird place with the diet and exercise right now - motivated but overwhelmed with the lack of time to act on it - and it would be reaaaaally easy to let him rest in peace.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ack!! That you didn't need!!!

Melissa said...

So Sorry!! My condolences.

Squeeze little geek's cheeks for me. That last picture just makes me want to squeeze 'em.

Hang in there.

jbmmommy said...

I recommend the free Sparkpeople.com site. Sorry about the computer.

It's tough when the motivation's there but time is tight. You're still making one of the biggest changes of your life, a little more time won't hurt. It's not worth giving yourself anxiety about, just try to relax.

Pharmie said...

Don't give up!...But don't stress yourself out either...Does CN have any contact info? Not sure if you could email them and explain the situation to get your keys back without forking over more cash. Good luck!

Steve Stenzel said...

Crap! Good luck!

Diane said...

I'm thinking it's a sign that the Calorie Nazi does not need to be in your life right now!

Sixteen Chickens said...

There just is nothing worse that setting up a new computer. I wish you luck. As for the nazi maybe he has been upgraded anyway, I think lunchroom monitor or catholic school nun 2.0 has replaced it.