Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Silver Lining

I'm sure many of you were irritated, as I was, with NBC's failed promise to air "Live Triathlon" coverage Sunday and Monday nights.

Thankfully they are doing a stellar job of posting footage online, and last night WH plugged the computer into the TV and I happily settled in to watch every minute of the women's triathlon in 50 inch HD glory.

It was peaceful. Almost surreal.

I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but I quickly realized why. No annoying announcers.

No bubble-headed sidekick asking inane questions. No manufactured drama. No one going off on how some common, minor glitch was a HAAAAYYUUUGGEEE MISTAKE they'll never get over. No one shoving a mike into the athlete's face asking how devastating it was to drop her chain and fall behind the pack.

The online broadcast was almost silent. Just the splashing of water, the sound of wind rushing by and the occasional roar of a crowd in the distance.

The athletes seemed alone. Sometimes you could hear them breathing.

Just like in a real race.

It felt like I was there. I loved it. I plan to watch the men's race the same way. I recorded the supplemental broadcast that was supposed to air the triathlon this morning, but I don't think I'll bother with it.

3 comments:

Steve Stenzel said...

I KNOW!! It was kinda nice to not hear them blabbing!

Jennifer P said...

God bless our commie crown corporation (aka the CBC). I watched the men's race start to finish and nearly peed my pants.

raulgonemobile said...

Wow.. never thought of that! I'll have to check it out. I can't stand the announcers either!