Friday, August 08, 2008

Sticks and Stones

This isn't directed at any one person or particular incident. It's simply a distillation of my feelings to the negativity I've received over the years from judgmental passers-by who sneer at my size, elitist endurance jerks who don't believe in sharing the sport with people like me and the anonymous asshats who send snide little emails and private comments calling me things like "selfish," "fatty" and "goddess of uglyness." [sic]


So. You think I'm fat. And ugly. And don't belong in this sport. Or, apparently, life in general. And you get a kick out of saying so while hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

***

Maybe you're the anonymous asshat who's wittiest comment to date has been "wow, you're really fat." Or are you one of the guys who sits on the beach and talks loudly about how fat girls shouldn't be allowed to wear bathing suits?

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. Saaay... are you busy? I'm thinking you've got some time on your hands, seeing as how your afternoon plans seem be sitting making fun of other people. How about we go for a little swim? See that buoy? No, dear,
that's the starting line. Squint a little and look at the middle of the lake. Yes, THAT one. Race ya...

What's that? You can't
swim? So, what you're saying is all you know how to do is sit on a sandy towel and cultivate a nice case of skin cancer. Well, that's a shame. I guess I'll see you after my workout. Yes, it's a mile loop around that buoy. And ya know what? If I'm feelin frisky I'll do two. You're more than welcome to join me.

***

Maybe you're the guy from the bike shop who made a crude comment about the size of my ass and tried to sell me the biggest, thickest, tackiest spring-loaded gel seat in the store after I spelled out what kind of racing bike I ride and the exact kind of saddle I was shopping for.

Or maybe you're one of the beer-swilling porch-sitters, poking your buddy in the arm, pointing and laughing as I ride by.

Doesn't matter, I say let's go for a ride. Go ahead, finish your beer while you dust off the ol' bike. I'll wait. Let's keep it short - 20 miles or so? How's about I meetcha at the top of that hill?

Yes, THAT hill. Yes, on your bike.

So, what you're saying is you've never tried to grind up an 8% grade into a 20 mph headwind in 95 degree heat with your heart rate spiking over 200? Well then, let me show you how it's done.

***

Maybe you're one of the shirtless gazelles who snicker as you lap me on the local trail. Or one of the jerks who doesn't believe I deserve to call what I do running because you and your long-ass legs happen to be able to walk faster than my 5K pace. Maybe you're even one of those asshats who publicly proclaims people like me shouldn't be allowed to sign up for races.

You know what, how about you spend a 5K in my shoes? I ran my first mile at 120 pounds overweight, but I'll make it easy on you. How about we strap a 40 pound bag of dog food around your waist and see how fast you can hoof it around that trail now? And don't slow down to walk up the hills! You wouldn't want some asshole to laugh at you for needing a break.

NOW. Do it after a swim and a bike ride. In 90 degree heat. Oh, and you better carry your own damn water because the aid stations will be out by the time your ass gets there.

Yes, that's what it feels like for me. Except double the extra weight. And yes, I still stick with it. Now tell me I don't deserve to fucking be out here.

***

It would be a simple thing for someone as soft-hearted and sentimental as I to turn these people, these incidents and these attitudes into a personal crisis of faith. A never-ending, confidence-sucking drama that would leave my poor Pollyanna spirit sobbing and broken-hearted and incapable of going on in the face of such opposition.

And there was a time when I might have done just that. In fact, I'd be lying if I said I still didn't have moments of weakness. But they're just that - moments. And not a one of them has had a thing to do with the black outpourings from the anonymous asshats of the world.

My dark times will never again come from a petty external source. I'm stronger than that now. I believe in myself, and in my self-worth and the only one who can hurt me is me. If I disappoint myself then I'll deal with the consequences. But I refuse to allow anyone to affect me, to shoot poison arrows declaring I've failed to meet some private standard they clearly have some issue with themselves.

I'm choosing not to get angry with these people. I choose instead to be grateful for their assistance in my metamorphosis. They only empower me and strengthen my resolve.

I pity them, and the sad lives they must lead, if their pleasure comes from showering others with pain.

So I say to them all: if it makes you feel better, then judge me. Say what you like. My response will always be "meet me at the starting line." You name the race. I'll see you at the finish with a handshake and a cold bottle of water. And I'll do it in spite of a chronic illness, two bad knees, a bum shoulder and a baby at my breast.

Whether or not the clock says I got there first, I'll still have beaten you.

Because I'm stronger than your random acts of hate, and your words have no power over me.

48 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Crying here.

Amen, sistah. And thank you.

LBTEPA said...

HEAR HEAR!
That is why I took the organisers of the biggest tri series in Melbourne to the Equal Opportunity Commission to MAKE THEM run an Athena category. You know why I race in bright colours and bright red lipstick and nail polish? Becuase I may be old, fat and slow, but I'm not invisible and I'm not apologetic.
F#$k 'em, sister! I'm with you

Brent Buckner said...

You wrote:
I believe in myself, and in my self-worth and the only one who can hurt me is me.

Well, there you go. If it were a contest, I'd say: you win!

It's not a contest, so perhaps it's more appropriate for me to write:
enjoy the view that a good perspective affords.

Sixteen Chickens said...

I like the word "asshat!" I'm going to add it to my vocabulary. :)

I"m sorry you have to deal with the trolls of the world... on the upside, look how strong you've become because of them.

Unknown said...

It's sad that so many people in the world have to tear someone else down in order to build themselves up. I wish I could say I've never done it, although I'm sure I have, and I shudder to think that my random thoughtless comment could have the same effect on someone else. You're doing an amazing thing for yourself, and setting a wonderful example for your son. Keep it up.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

You are beautiful!!

RawTriGirl said...

Right on sister friend. Nobody know until they've walked in our shoes. I choose not to make these asshats matter in my life. Even though I have lost some of the weight, I still see the discrimination when some look at my sagging belly OR when I'm with a chubbier girlfriend and the salesperson ignores her to cater to me. F that. You have the power my dear. And you are way way stronger.

Trisaratops said...

I LOVE this.

Not what is directed at you...that makes me want to punch a wall, actually. But how you so eloquently put them away.

I am very glad you wrote this.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

FANTASTIC! So then when your metamophasis is complete, you make sure you remember to cheer even louder for the big girls who are out on the course for a really long time and had to work much harder to move when it was much hotter out!
I had an ultrarunner ask me recently how long it had taken me to finish my first 50K (very, very slowly) and then he said, VERY reSPECTFULL, "boy, that's a long time to be on your feet! Good job!" One of the best things I heard all year.

Unknown said...

Siren, you rock.

bigmike600 said...

Totally great post. As a person who has lost a lot of weight with more to go, I know exactly where you are coming from. You keep it up, and so will I. I will never be more than a back of the pack athlete and I'm o.k. with that. I think there are more triathletes out there who respect those of us that have to try harder than those that snicker and stare.
Those elite athletes that snicker and stare and make jokes...it would sure suck to be that ugly on the inside and I'm glad we are not like that.
Again..great post.

Unknown said...

Sing it sister.

And what bigmike said.

Anonymous said...

F N hell yeah.

21stCenturyMom said...

Nicely said and your conclusion proves that you are way stronger than me because I probably would have come up with something really awesome *cough* like 'AND I HATE ALL YOU F#@ING A$$HOLES!" That'll show 'em - NOT.

Would it be too stupid and hackneyed to say 'you go girl?' Yes, yes it would but refer to previous paragraph to see how word/inspiration impaired I can be.

gecko said...

I so know where you are coming from!

People who exist only to put others down are seriously lacking something in their own lives. Ignore them!

Be happy!

Spokane Al said...

Well said! As the late, great Dr George Sheehan once said, "each of us is an experiment of one." And from your words and deeds I would say that you are a resounding success.

Keep at it!

Kathryn said...

Well said. And who needs the approval of asshats anyway?

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

HELLS yeah! You further illustrate why one can never judge the ability of any athlete by their appearance.

Ever.

Sarah said...

I love it!! And I am so glad Misty linked to your blog because now I can read along and cheer for you. You.Rock.

Andra Sue said...

Hear, hear. Extremely well said!

Kate said...

Girl~

Very well said. We each have our own burden to bear. It doesn't matter how fast or slow, how big or small, first or last place. What matters is what is in you. That "thing" that gets to you to the finish line, heck that gets you up and going each day! That "thing" that makes you, wonderful you. The "thing" that makes you an inspiration and a truly wonderful mom.
Whatever it is, keep going because you are strong, confident, and beautiful.

K said...

Thank you for posting this.
I am crying right now after reading it. I've had people say hurtful things to me too -- you're ugly, scarred, etc.
Thanks for putting my feelings into words so eloquently.

Sarah said...

You have absolutely no idea how badly I needed to read this today.

The Young Family said...

I can't even tell you how that makes me feel inside - - - wonderful words from you! Thank you for writing that.Just last week a friend and I were riding our bikes - and then swimming and some young punks decided to make some awful comments to us. It is amazing how I went from being all pumped up about the brick work out, to being defeated by one idiotic persons comments, then I got angry... you summed up my thoughts perfectly. My friend who has just lost 40+ pounds and is doing her first triathlon this week, did say to them "atleast I am out here doing something!" We rode the rest of the way, swam then came up with lots of comments for the ride back. Of course they weren't there when we rode back! After thinking about it though, I don't want one comment to take away from all that I have done. So we talked about how far we had come! She is doing her first triathlon! I am training for a marathon... very cool. Thank you for the post!

Em

Tyger Lily said...

Thank you for this post!

Your strength and determination are inspiring.

Those people are sad, sad people.

Erica said...

Great post. I'm so glad you wrote this.

I had a friend tell me a story that absolutely horrified me. She was training for her first tri and called the local multisport mecca store in our town. She explained she was looking for a wetsuits in extended sizes. The clerk on the phone said, "yeah, we carry up to Women's Large Athena. That should fit at least 160 pounds."

That left my friend in the position to explain that she needed something that could fit quite a bit more than 160 pounds. The clerk, apparently confused that someone over 160 pounds would need a wetsuit for a tri, replied: "Oh, like eating disorder size? No, we don't have anything like that."

It still pisses me off to think of how an ambassador of the sport in our town could be so stupid. My friend did her tri anyway and rocked!

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent and thanks again for your awesome post!

Nancy Toby said...

Fabulous piece!! Well written! And certainly I've experienced every bit of it!

Then there's the people who think I'm slower than them because I'm just not trying *cough*

One has to have a fairly tough skin to do this stuff. I hurt for the women who stay at home and won't exercise in public specifically because they fear the very type of abuse that you describe.

Fe-lady said...

In the end, after all the races and the cheers and the medals and even the naysayers...we do this for one reason. For ourselves.
Keep on doing.

You are out there...many aren't, but may be next year because of women such as yourself!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Keep on doing what you do. You rock girl!

Anonymous said...

Sing it out!

Anonymous said...

Siren,

I think we have raced together. In spirit.

If it hasn't happened yet, I hope to someday have the spirit worthy of competing with you.

Anonymous said...

This is so good to read. I thought I was all alone! I'm joining a tri training group in September with the goal of completing a half iron next year and a full iron the year after. And it's so scary because of my fear of people like that and my own internal voices that tell me I'm silly for thinking I can do THIS endurance event. But I'm going to do it, because deep down I know that I can do it if I train. There is also the fact that I want to do an ironman so I can get the tattoo!

Lass said...

This is fabulous to read. Thank you.

brendaj said...

Nicely written, and it's great to hear everyone else's stories that you inspired too.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post - I have come across ALL of those sad people in my determination to be a triathlete. They still bother me at times I have to admit, and sometimes I feel like a fraud turning up to a race with uber athletes, so to read this made me feel GREAT!

We'll just keep right on kicking a$$ anyway!

Thanks for sharing!

jamileena said...

I must sheepishly admit, Ive driven by the 'fat girl' on the bike and thought, 'Yeah, you need it honey'.

I'm a d*ck. *I* need it. I make a noise when I bend down to pick something up. My belly(ies) hang over the top of my pants when I sit...and stand for that matter, muffin top anyone? Everyone must stand clear when I unhook my bra at the end of the day.

I have since stopped the negative crap and have decided to have a positive outlook, especially towards others-I have NO idea what they may be going thru/dealing with-and I dont need to, I just need to be human. I like to be sarcastic and funny, but not at the price of someone else's feelings.

I know when I ride my beach cruiser up and down the street or take the *big* ride; around the block (yea-I SUCK) there are some people thinking 'yeah, you need it honey'.

Good luck to you and keep up the good work, you can only get better!

KaraP said...

I love it. I only have an additional 30-40 lbs, but I understand that feeling as well. I love it. I say Keep Running. I'll join ya.

Kara

TriShannon said...

Well said! Thanks for this post.

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

I'm currently training for my first tri. I'm at least 100# overweight and while strangers' comments and looks hurt, what really kills me is when someone I deeply love and foolishly think supports me tell me 'it doesn't count' if I end up walking the *run* portion. :(

~Terri~

Unknown said...

You rock, Sweetie! Don't let the losers bother you because that's all they, losers. Their contribution to society is absolutely nil. You're making a difference in your attitude and your example.

Just think that for every asshat with a bigger mouth than brain, there is at least two others who see you and think "Maybe I could..." I like to think that as I pass little girls in their yard that maybe someday they'll say "Maybe I could do that."

I've lost a lot of weight so I've definitely been where you are now and I SO admire what you're doing. I wouldn't have had the guts and I'm so sorry that I let myself down that way.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice post. It's great to see you know who you are, what you are doing, and who you are doing it for. As many have stated - you are impacting far more lives than you know. I just came across your blog.. thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Wow! You are my new favorite person!! You have summed up what so many of us feel. Congrats for being out there and feeling great about it! You ROCK!!!

TriGirl 40 said...

Incredible post!

I agree with everyone above about your rock star-ness!

But I am totally pissed-off about those friggin' losers who get their kicks by throwing out hurtful comments and insults. Ironically, they could probably never rise above having sticks and stones thrown at them.

Marie-Claude said...

One word: WOW. Thank you so much for posting this, what an inspiration. We share a few characteristics, being myself overweight, infertile (6 years and counting...) and dreaming of a triathlon. The difference between you and me is that you've done it, while I'm still just training on my own just dreaming about it... I haven't taken the plunge yet, but I think you've just inspired me to do so.

Best of luck in the future, I'll keep an eye on your blog :-)

Michelle said...

Abso-friggin-lutely!

Jim Smith II said...

Caulfield: "What do they call the person who finishes last at a triathlon?"
Frazz: "A triathlete"

Great post Siren! You put in to very eloquent words what I know a lot of people feel. Best of luck in your upcoming events.

Patricia said...

Wow great post!!!

You rock girl!!

I'll be reading from now on :)

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!! Where are you! I need all the inspiration I can get. Dont let the asshats get you down!!!