Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Seeking Advice: IMWI Volunteer

I've committed to volunteer at IMMoo in that I've booked a hotel room and told Husband I'll be gone that weekend.

Beyond that... I need some advice before I officially register. I haven't done it before and there are so many options I'm not sure what to do. Since some of the jobs only have a few slots open I figure I should sign up now in case I decide to do one of the scarce ones.

The volunteer site is great and spells out what each volunteer duty is so you can make an informed decision. I've narrowed it down based on criteria including:
- my inability to do complex things before sunrise
- my lack of "extensive knowledge of Madison streets"
- my desire to hang out with the Tri-Geek Dreamers if they end up doing something like dinner afterwards
- my preference to see at least some action (i.e. not hiding in a food tent or sitting at an intersection all day)
- the possibility of recording (I have a great DVR) in-race interviews with Tri-Geek Dreamers to pass along for GYGO

I'd absolutely love to hear thoughts from anyone who's either volunteered or raced an Ironman.

Here's what I'm considering:
- Wetsuit peeler... it just sounds cool
- Driving a sag vehicle for the bike course... I have a big van that's easy to toss bikes into. I have no idea why but this appeals to me a lot. It also has a responsibility factor (reporting DNFs). Would love to hear thoughts on the down-sides.
- Bike aid station... special needs or regular, don't have a preference, like the idea of interacting with the racers
- Finish Line Awards... sounds like a ton of fun, this one might allow a shift on another task earlier in day, and would be great to be able to photograph team TGD members as they arrive
- Bike taker... I'd be afraid of screwing up the bike giver thing, but wouldn't it be fun to grope all that carbon fiber?

I also like the idea of being a finish line "catcher" but am a bit intimidated by such an important job at my first volunteer outing. A friend said it sounds pretty hard core and maybe I should do that another year, after I see in person how intense it is.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

Born To Endure said...

I've volunteered at IM's several times...i'm done race marshalling to run aid stations..loved every minute. If I could do one though that I haven't done before, it would be either body marking of the finish line!! That way you have the a.m. to watch the swim, the bike and most of the run...