Sunday, August 13, 2006

It IS possible...

... to find a tri other than Kona on TV!

Husband was channel surfing late this afternoon and he found coverage of the Spirit of Racine Half-IM!

I kinda can't believe it - a triathlon in my neck of the woods, that I'll probably do sooner rather than later, on TV. Sure, it's on a lame channel (ComCast SportsNet) but it's still TV!

The cameras were all over this poor guy (an elite, I think) whose came into T1 way at the front of the pack but lost the lead because his wetsuit zipper got stuck and he couldn't get out of it! Add THAT to the list of things I'll worry about in future races.

Lead woman out of the water in about 25 minutes. DAMN. Lisa Bentley was 4th out of the water - wow! Who knew a champ like her did little races like this? (By the time I finished typing that she'd pulled up to 2nd on the bike.)

The irritating thing is that the announcers are total idiots - one of them was informing the viewers that the racers use Vaseline on their bodies to help them exit their wetsuits. Now they've got an overzealous twit explaining about "elastic shoelaces." I'm thinkin' I'll have to watch this on Mute to reduce the risk of throwing something at the talking heads.

1 comment:

Born To Endure said...

Wow...you're lucky, I would have loved to have seen that!! Cool!!