Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Attitude Adjustments

Sorry for such a long post - I've been sorting through a lot of things the last few days and it felt good to write them down.

Calorie Counting
I've been counting calories for a couple of days now. I've been through every emotion that I'm sure anyone who has tried counting calories goes through - anger, frustration, astonishment. (I never thought I'd find myself in the kitchen at night, weighing an apple to find out if I can fit the calories in for a snack. I couldn't -man are apples high in calories!!)

And, of course, peeing 42 times a day because you're drinking so much water to feel full.

I hate the software's interface but upon experimentation have learned, to my very pleasant surprise, that the back end is seriously robust. It calculates things other calorie programs don't even consider. It has a serious food "dictionary" - several thousand items - and you can put in your own (I've been typing in the info from all the foods in my pantry). I was blown away when I tried to log one of my pantry items and it came back saying that the calories entered didn't match up with the actual calories it calculated based on all the other nutrition information (there's nearly 40 fields of data) and would I like to use theirs? Hell yeah! If I'm gonna do this, let's do it right . (This has happened several times now - apparently the food companies round the numbers down, sometimes by a LOT.)

Quite possibly my favorite feature is the Recipe Box - you can drag and drop individual items into a recipe and it will calculate the nutrition information for individual servings of that recipe. That's pretty much the holy grail of calorie counting for me, for whom the exercise inevitably dies when I make a nice casserole for my husband and realize I have no freakin' way to figure out what I just ate.

I found the company's website and learned the software and the bad interface has been upgraded. Several of the things that irritated the crap out of me have been fixed and several more functions have been added. It's so smart that, if you log weight lifting as an exercise, it will take the probability of increased muscle mass into account for the BMR calculations when adjusting your calorie recommendations (which it tweaks every day).

I got used to it, am impressed by the science behind it (it appears several PhDs had a hand in it) and am probably going to fork out the $50 to buy the upgraded version.

Weight Loss Expectations
The most I've ever lost in a single year since I started this 3 years ago was 25 pounds. So I set a private, inside my head goal of losing 25 pounds this year, for several reasons. 1) It will get me to the half-way point of 75 lost. 2) It will get me below the psychological barrier of 200 pounds. 3) It would do those things riiiight before my 35th birthday.

This program makes you put in a goal weight and a date, then it calculates the calories recommended to get you there. I tried to set it up with a goal of 25 a year for the next 4 years but it won't go more than 2 years out. So for kicks, I put in my goal weight for 2 years. It came up with a shockingly reasonable calorie recommendation and rated the potential effort as "manageable." (Yes, this shockingly reasonable calorie count and manageable effort is what's had me in tears the last couple days.)

My mind is reeling to think I could theoretically be near my goal weight by the end of 2008. I know me and I know I can't possibly stick with this every day for the next two years - I said from the very beginning this was not about "dieting" but about sustainable lifestyle changes. But if I even stick with it most of the time I'll be closer to my dream faster than I imagined possible.

Goal Weight
This morning my husband pointed out that I'd set my goal weight as my actual goal weight, when the reality is that I'm going to need a body lift when it's done. You just can't gain/lose 150 pounds and not take this ugly truth into consideration.

This basically means I'll probably be at my goal weight on the inside but until the surgery is done will have many pounds of extra skin (yuck, right?). My weight loss has been slow enough that my skin is rebounding relatively well, but there are a few spots where surgery is simply going to be required.

So in keeping with this reality, I reset the goal weight on the software to 15 pounds over my goal weight because that's the weight at which I need to consult a plastic surgeon.

(I was really kind of hoping for an extra 200-300 calories a day out of this adjustment, but I only got an extra 75 - not even a whole apple's worth!)

Success Does Not, In This Case, Beget Success
It finally hit me over the last few days why this is suddenly So. Damn. Hard. I have not been exaggerating all this time when I say I generally don't count calories, generally make good food choices and generally have a handle on portion control. I seriously lost this first 50 pounds simply by making incremental changes to my diet and exercise habits. (And taking my thyroid medication.)

I knew when I started that eventually it would get harder - i.e. when I weight less I will have to eat less and less calories to continue losing weight. I'd lost sight of that until now. I'm still so overweight that it's hard to logically accept the time has already come, but my body's going "helllooooo - you weigh 50 pounds LESS!! Of COURSE you need to eat less now."

That's why this last couple days has been such a kick in the head - I've never had to cut calories to the point I was hungry to get weight loss.

Injuries
I've been making the mental shift from "OMG this season is RUINED!!!" because of my shoulder to "those races will be there next year."

I still won't know for a couple of weeks what the future holds. I could be in for a season-ending shoulder surgery or I could be in for a few weeks of physical therapy and a gradual return to the pool.

Either way, I'd already planned on making this a year to focus on running and had only scheduled 2 triathlons. If I can't swim at all those races will still be there next year. Of course I'll be upset if my 'Marathon and HIM when I'm 35' goal is pushed back to this year's Half-marathon and Olympic but I have to remember that racing is a joy and a privilege - but not remotely worth risking permanent injury for. If I have to miss this season in order to continue racing in the future, so be it.

I just hope if that happens the other triathletes will let me have honorary status until I can get back to the starting line.

9 comments:

DV said...

Priorities... Gotta be healthy first.
Awesome job with the overall weight plan. You are an inspiration to many!

Triteacher said...

Oh. Do I hear you on the calorie counting and "HUH? I need to experience hunger in order to lose weight??" It's the brick wall I run up against every time. Sux.

I admire you and totally agree: racing is a privilege which should not be purchased with lifelong injury. Stick to it. Hard as it is, those races will be there... and I can tell you that there is life after 35. ;)

getwell said...

Congratulations in advance on achieving your weight loss goal in 2007. You WILL do it. No second guesses. I have a goal of reduction as well and will try a different approach by using an icon of disgust to ward off the calories: a one-pound fat replica. I figure if I keep it on the counter, I'll always see it and think twice about those extra helpings. Hey, I'm feelin' like heaving already :-).

jbmmommy said...

I hear you on the calorie counting. I'm back at it, although I'm not in a totally faithful period with it- just for keeping a general feel for how I'm doing. When it gets down to the nitty-gritty I get crabby about it, and a little obsessed. I wish you all the best with the weight loss goals, I know you're going to be successful.

You're right that triathlons will be here after this year. I'm sure it's tough to put your plans for races on hold (I'm obviously doing the same this year- but for a happy reason), you need to heal. And you don't need honorary status from anyone, you ARE a triathlete!

Pharmie said...

You've come such a long way already. It's an inspiration for so many people out there. I know you can do it in 2007 too! The shoulder thing really stinks. Hopefully it'll turn into a fairly easy (nonpainful, nonsurgical) fix. Keep us posted!

Habeela said...

We should do relay tris this year because I can't run or bike but I can DEFINITELY swim! :)

If the software keeps irritating you, seriously! Switch to Sparkpeople.com - it's free and freaking amazing! And the best part, is you start out counting calories everyday but they wean you off of it by the end.

Lisa said...

I just wanted to send you a *HUG*

I think you're doing a fantastic job, and I know it's not going to be easy. That's what we're here for, when the going gets tough. :)

TriShannon said...

Found you thru TriSaraTops' blog. Just wanted to say hi and wish you continued success as you move closer and closer to your weight loss goal. I just had the apple realization myself. Thought... it's an apple, a fruit, it's healthy then entered into my nutrition log and wow... that's a lot of calories!!

Hopefully the shoulder injury is nothing too serious.

Anonymous said...

I have been using the same software for a while now and can tell you it gets better. You learn what foods that you can eat and stay under your calorie budget and not be hungry (mostly foods with lots of water, fiber, or protein). I have taken a break for the last few weeks but am starting up again today. Good Luck!